Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance question

Options
  • 29-05-2017 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    sorry if this is not the right section.

It is a long time I wanted to buy a van to use as a camper, but I really can't afford converted campervans or campers.

The only thing I could look at are van or cars like berlingo and to put a bed into it.
    I actually found a vw caravelle which could suit me.

I found an insurance which would give me the cover. But the vehicle is registered as private vehicle and with 5 seats. The seller has put a sofa-bed into it and it would give me the seats.

I have read here that if anything happens the insurance wouldn't cover me.
    really? if I temporarily remove the seats for a while to use the car as camper I am not insured?

I believe if this is the case there won't be any way around if not converting a van to camper?
    :(

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I don't think you can get camper insurance for a vehicle that is not registered and marked in the VLC as being a Camper Van.

If you have been told that you will get insurance on a private passenger vehicle the please let us know who you got it with because i think we will all want a policy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

it is not a campervan and it would be not camper insurance
    it is a private vehicle, a caravelle, where there would be a bed fitted into the back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

insurance companies all differ.. why not ask them if you put a bed in the boot and sleep in it for fishing trips will they cover you.

I will tomorrow, thanks a lot.. for a moment I "panicked" and thought they would answer a straight NO so I run to post here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

http://motorcaravanclub.com/faq/road-tax/

You will get cheaper rate of tax €102 and insurance for €350 if it is a camper on the registration cert.

• Advertisement

I know... unfortunately it's not a camper :(
    and I've seen that converting it's quite expensive
    also it has only a bed fitted not a real kitchen etc

Advertisement