Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation company not delivered my items and vanished

Options
  • 29-05-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I hired a relocation company called <SNIP> based in Dublin to move to Malta. They've collected my items at my house and took a 50% payment. They kept them at their warehouse until I found a permanent address in Malta. When I got it, they then asked for full payment and shipped my pallets through a UK company. My items were received in Malta by a transportation company.

However, I've been contacted by the agents here in Malta saying they can't deliver the goods to me because they haven't received payment from <SNIP>. I've tried contacting <SNip> numerous times over the last 2 weeks with no luck. They are not picking up their phones nor replying to emails. They have been in business since 2004 so it's not a new company. Whenever I manage to get through to them (on their mobile numbers) they give me excuses, promising they will call me back and sort out the payment. I've even heard that the lady working in the office had been hospitalised, which is likely to be another false statement.

I understand the stance of the maltese company, they need to get the payment they had agreed with <SNIP> and they don't want to be at a loss and are pretty inflexible. They have also tried to contact <SNIP> numerous times without success.

How can I chase this company legally? I really need to get our stuff. We're a family of 4 and have been living with the contents of our suitcases for over 2 months now. Is this a case for the small claims court? Could a solicitor help doing something extra-judicially, like sending them a notification?

I am pretty stuck here, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Small claims court is going to move waaaay too slowly for your needs. Try a solicitor's letter first, hopefully that might give them a jolt and get things going. Otherwise, you're probably looking at paying the Maltese company yourself to release the stuff, and then chasing the removals company to get your money back (and that's probably where small claims comes into it).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

This is what I have from their invoice:

<SNIP> Please do not name

Small claims court is going to move waaaay too slowly for your needs. Try a solicitor's letter first, hopefully that might give them a jolt and get things going. Otherwise, you're probably looking at paying the Maltese company yourself to release the stuff, and then chasing the removals company to get your money back (and that's probably where small claims comes into it).

I rang a couple of law firms and they gave me a similar answer so far "it will be hard with you no longer residing in Ireland and the costs are a lot higher than your claim, plus you're not an existing customer of ours".

This last part is actually surprising to me - how do I become a customer if you won't let me hire your firm! So would anyone here recommend a solicitor or law firm that could help me get things rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

rafaetha wrote: »
    <SNIP>

If you search here for the VAT number it'll give you a director's name. Quick google of the director's name reveals he was done last year by revenue for Underdeclaration of PAYE/PRSI & VAT.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    If you search here for the VAT number it'll give you a director's name. Quick google of the director's name reveals he was done last year by revenue for Underdeclaration of PAYE/PRSI & VAT.

I have the director's name and phone number, it is actually on of the numbers that I ring when trying to make contact with them, but then I only hear excuses.

Interesting and even more unsettling to know he had issues with revenue... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the amount involved in less than €2000 then the small claims court is your best option. Otherwise you need to involve a solicitor.

If the amount involved in less than €2000 then the small claims court is your best option. Otherwise you need to involve a solicitor.

The amount I paid them is around €3650 however the amount the maltese agents are looking to get from them is less than €2000. However I read on another topic from someone being scammed by the same company (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103451290) that you need to be in the country to initiate a small claim...

And I couldn't find a solicitor that will take my case, I'd probably need to be referred by someone who is their existing customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They look to be setup now as <SNIP> operating from the same address, only in business since 31st of March 2017, same director as previous company...<SNIP>

Here's the director on LinkedIn...

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

rafaetha wrote: »
    you need to be in the country to initiate a small claim...

I'm not sure that's true tbh. Malta is in the EU, I'd be surprised if there's any barrier to someone in another EU country accessing the service.

You can lodge a small claim online. Start the process today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All reference to the company name and director removed. Please do not name companies or individuals.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try the ECC in Malta. They should be able to tell you what you can do

http://eccnetmalta.gov.mt

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Christina1976

I sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Christina1976

I am certain we used the same company.
    It's unbelievable that this guy cannot be stopped and is still running his business. The guards say they can do nothing and you have to go in to make a statement ....to go to court is too expensive and not really an option when you have left the country and have young kids.

They look to be setup now as <SNIP> operating from the same address, only in business since 31st of March 2017, same director as previous company...<SNIP>

Here's the director on LinkedIn...

<SNIP>

I've sent you a pm. Thanks!

I am certain we used the same company.
    It's unbelievable that this guy cannot be stopped and is still running his business. The guards say they can do nothing and you have to go in to make a statement ....to go to court is too expensive and not really an option when you have left the country and have young kids.

They seem to be free to keep scamming people. They know that the legal system won't get to them because of this loophole, i.e. it's very hard and costly to chase things up from abroad, but I WILL, even if it takes me more money than I could eventually get. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

There is no problem in getting Small Claims Court action, as Malta is an E.U. country.  Cost is €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

You could highlight the scam on radio 1's liveline programme (Joe Duffy often raises consumer problems)....

Advertisement