Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water test kit

Options
  • 28-05-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know where is cheapest to buy the API fresh water master test kit? Amazon don't deliver and ebay looks like €40 including post.
    Is there a cheaper option or is that just what it costs?

Also are there any other test kits anyone would recommend for a fresh water aquarium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I use the Tetra 6-in-1 test strips. I have the API kit too but rarely use it the Tetra does a fine job as all I'm looking at is Nitrate levels in a well planted and mature tank.

Most people don't trust test strips but the Tetra are as accurate as you need really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Pro-Shrimp.co.uk deliver to Ireland and they sell the API one for about £24. A good way to reduces nitrates is to do frequent and high percentage water changes. In some instances it can be best practise to do up to 50% changes weekly in smaller tanks that are slightly overstocked.

Plants also absorb nitrates. Have you issues at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Pro-Shrimp.co.uk deliver to Ireland and they sell the API one for about £24. A good way to reduces nitrates is to do frequent and high percentage water changes. In some instances it can be best practise to do up to 50% changes weekly in smaller tanks that are slightly overstocked.

Plants also absorb nitrates. Have you issues at the moment?

No issues I'm aware of but I'm new to the hobby and have run out of strips. By the time I hoover all the gravel it's close to 50% of water gone so that's good.
    But daunted by plants for now just have lots of plastic ones. They seem happy enough besides a few shabby looking tetras but they were like that when I got them. Unfortunately didn't notice until I got home from the shop.

Thanks for the tip will check out proshrimp

lolo62 wrote: »
    But daunted by plants for now just have lots of plastic ones. They seem happy enough besides a few shabby looking tetras but they were like that when I got them. Unfortunately didn't notice until I got home from the shop.

If you start with something that doesnt need to be planted in the substrate you cant really go wrong. Plants like Anubias, Java Fern or Bolbitis can be bought attached to a piece of wood/rock/coconut husk. They are pretty much bullet proof and don't require much light or any fertilizer.

They can be pricey in shops if bought pre-attached (c. €20) but for your first plants you probably don't want to be fiddling around with fishing line and reattaching if they dont take etc. You can find some on adverts for cheaper though.

penev10 wrote: »
    I use the Tetra 6-in-1 test strips. I have the API kit too but rarely use it the Tetra does a fine job as all I'm looking at is Nitrate levels in a well planted and mature tank.

Most people don't trust test strips but the Tetra are as accurate as you need really.

I missed this thanks for the heads up about tetra strips, good to know!

• Advertisement

If you start with something that doesnt need to be planted in the substrate you cant really go wrong. Plants like Anubias, Java Fern or Bolbitis can be bought attached to a piece of wood/rock/coconut husk. They are pretty much bullet proof and don't require much light or any fertilizer.

They can be pricey in shops if bought pre-attached (c. €20) but for your first plants you probably don't want to be fiddling around with fishing line and reattaching if they dont take etc. You can find some on adverts for cheaper though.

I'll look into those. What's the story with algae and natural plants? I get a lot of green algae on the plastic plants

I'll look into those. What's the story with algae and natural plants? I get a lot of green algae on the plastic plants

Plants should out-compete algae for the nutrients in the water and help keep it at bay. Its a balance between light and fertilizer and as long as you dont go too extreme one way or the other the plants should win out.

Ok took the plunge. I have floating Tawian plants, amazon sword, Limnobium laevigatum and Echinodorus tenellus. Don't know how I ever had plastic plants now the natural are beautiful. It's like underwater gardening.
    Im putting in two types of fertiliser each day, not sure of the names but just 2 ml of each. Fingers crossed the algae stays away.
    The honey gouramis are in heaven. There has been mating, bubble nest building and they love eating the furry parts of the Taiwan roots.
    Success so far. I haven't done any water tests for a while as I ran out of strips but 50% water change twice a week is keeping the water quality good.

they love eating the furry parts of the Taiwan roots.
    not good. Killed off my Amazon Frogbit when my Siamese Algae Eater began doing that.
    I ran out of strips
    Have you tried cutting them in two? (lengthways obviously) They still work fine.

not good. Killed off my Amazon Frogbit when my Siamese Algae Eater began doing that.

Have you tried cutting them in two? (lengthways obviously) They still work fine.

Eek! I thought it was sweet because they had variety. What did you do about the plant situation or is there a solution? Just don't keep that plant?

Fantastic tip about the strips thank you they're not cheap!

Edit:just checked it's amazon frogbit they're munching on not taiwan

• Advertisement

Eek! I thought it was sweet because they had variety. What did you do about the plant situation or is there a solution? Just don't keep that plant?

Fantastic tip about the strips thank you they're not cheap!

Edit:just checked it's amazon frogbit they're munching on not taiwan

Maybe they wont do as much damage as the SAE as he literally stripped the hairy roots off and they never grew back. I've had dwarf gouramis with frogbit before and it was fine so maybe they're just nibbling. You'll notice the leaves gradually rotting if there's damage being done to the roots.

I treat it all as a learning experience. I've had many failed experiments. Theres sometimes no way of knowing if something will work for you until you try it out.

Advertisement