Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open water seapoint

Options
  • 28-05-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi. Anyone know of any groups that train informally in south dublin, seapoint or sandycove preferably?

This is my first season swimming and aiming for the lee swim in July.

Know some of the triathlon clubs train out of there but not a member and don't run so not sure how welcome I'd be.

Went out to seapoint today for my second open water swim, ever. Felt great but would probably feel a bit more comfortable if I had some company.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Take a look at Belpark's page
    I know they do swim in Seapoint and the 40 foot with some informal stuff open to non club members

I know they do swim in Seapoint and the 40 foot with some informal stuff open to non club members

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Bleedin parrot .... :)

• Advertisement

Poxy phone. Wouldn't even let me do a snaky edit, just kept reposting

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thanks. Will keep an eye on the website.

Got out again this evening for a bit longer but deep water confidence is still an issue. Have been swimming skins so far but wondering get if a wetsuit or maybe a tow float would help? Any opinions or experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ryder wrote: »
    Thanks. Will keep an eye on the website.

Got out again this evening for a bit longer but deep water confidence is still an issue. Have been swimming skins so far but wondering get if a wetsuit or maybe a tow float would help? Any opinions or experience?

Last year when I started back into OW swimming I wore a wetsuit early in the season. I did find that it helped with the heeby jeebies of not being able to see the bottom/swimming into stuff etc. However (and this is entirely personal so whatever feels best), when I started swimming skins again it was like a totally different sport for me. I just love swimming skins. The feel of the water, the challenge of dealing with the cold, my swimming just feels more natural.. It was a bit of a challenge to get over the nerves, but if anything that's added to the sense of accomplishment.

It is important to do what makes you comfortable, but at the same time it's important not to use a wetsuit/float as a crutch to push yourself into doing something that you might not be quite able for, that's also asking for trouble. Neither are proper safety devices. If it's just a mental thing then maybe give a wetsuit a go to see, but (again this is just my own preference) if you've been swimming skins I would really encourage you to stick with it!

I haven't used a float so can't comment on them, but am looking at getting one for longer solo training swims for visibility (jetskis can be an issue where I am over the summer :mad:) and to hold feeds. They're good for that, but again probably not the best to use as a safety crutch to push yourself much beyond your comfort zone.

Joining a group would be the best way to get over the nerves, push yourself in a safe way, and to learn from other experienced swimmers imo. Plus they're usually a good bunch of crazies!

Thanks. Got a wetsuit last month thinking that would be the way to go but it hasn't left it's wrapper. Enjoying the skins and cold is tolerable now.

Have been swimming 2.5k 3 times a week in the pool for the last year so fitness shouldn't be an issue......just nerves. I'm thinking a float might be the way to go just for some mental security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ryder wrote: »
    Thanks. Got a wetsuit last month thinking that would be the way to go but it hasn't left it's wrapper. Enjoying the skins and cold is tolerable now.

Have been swimming 2.5k 3 times a week in the pool for the last year so fitness shouldn't be an issue......just nerves. I'm thinking a float might be the way to go just for some mental security

Leave the wetsuit where it is so!

Float's not a bad idea so if it'll help with the nerves. Thankfully happens rarely now I'm more used to it, but one thing that always helps me if ever I do get a bit nervy is focusing on my breathing. I find that my breathing can go a bit into overdrive and get a bit breathless if I'm nervous/get a fright. Focusing on slowing it down to smooth and regular like in the pool helps calm me down, and gives me something to think about other than the fact that I'm a bit nervous.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Got a float and headed out for 30mins on Sunday.

Actually swam for 30mins and barely noticed the float.

Nice when swimming alone to have a bit of security in case I cramp or forget how to swim etc. Hopefully the nerves will fade in time

just to round off on this.......

Have done a good number of open water swims since, either with tow float or wetsuit.

tow float is far more comfortable, barely notice it.

wetsuit was bought online and fits well (i think). Swimming is grand in it, but I have pains in both deltoids about 20mins in.

Have yet to meet a jellyfish

Advertisement