Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 'bio' masters should I do?

Options
  • 28-05-2017 1:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

Applying for masters at the moment, as a safe guard, just in case I might need to do one. I graduated in microbiology UCC (2:2) last year and having applied for hundreds of jobs (4 interviews), I've had no luck with employment. I decided not to do a masters, because I wanted to get out into the real world. I thought that the catch would be, that I'd have to work very hard. But instead, I didn't even get a proper job. I'm on minimum wage at the moment!

I've no idea which one I'd like to do really. I've applied for the 'Biotecgnology' masters in UCC (€50). I think I might also apply for 'Medical Genetics' masters in NUIG before the June 1st deadline. Are there any others I should be aware of, that I'd be eligible for? I didn't look at any in Dublin yet! And which ones are best for employment... since that's what it's all about.

In fact, my degree has actually come against me in trying to get reasonbly good jobs in other lines of work - with such employers being skeptical that, once hired, I'll continue to apply for jobs related to my discipline. Even Dunnes Stores were skeptical of my degree. I had to cleverly pretend that I had a real job secured to start in 6 months... to which they said "that's perfect, that's just what we needed to hear"!

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

Did you check out masters abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Would you get accepted onto a masters with a 2.2? It is my understanding that you need at least a 2.1 or lots of industry experience to be accepted onto a masters course.

Advertisement