Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aiste Questions

Options
  • 28-05-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi I have some questions about the aiste in HL Irish.

1. Is it true that the mark you get in your aiste (say 65/100 so 65%) is the highest mark you can get overall? So even if the rest of your paper is a higher standard you won't get a higher mark than that? It seems untrue but it's a rumour I've heard a lot so I thought I'd just ask anyway!

2. If you write an essay that isn't related to the title or only very slightly related, will you get a 0 or will you be marked out of the 80 for your grammar?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

1. That's completely false. Each section is graded individually. You could potentially get 0 on the Aiste and full marks everywhere else.

2. I'm not sure exactly what happens here but I know for a fact that you will be marked down heavily if your essay doesn't relate to the title. I know someone who misunderstood the title and while the essay itself was decent, it was given a very low mark. I don't know what the exact mark was, but it wasn't 0, and it was a very low score. I think in that essay, a fairly small amount of the content happened to coincidentally overlap, so maybe marks were given in some sections, but not others. I'm not 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

1. Is it true that the mark you get in your aiste (say 65/100 so 65%) is the highest mark you can get overall? So even if the rest of your paper is a higher standard you won't get a higher mark than that? It seems untrue but it's a rumour I've heard a lot so I thought I'd just ask anyway!

That's definitely not true. The only case where something like that applies is in English questions where the C and L marks in an answer cannot be higher than the P mark (i.e. even if it's beautifully written, if you don't answer the question you will score poorly).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shezzaholmes

Thanks for answering! The aiste is definitely my weakest point in Irish so it's good to know that if I mess it up it won't affect the rest of the marks, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MeowMuinteoir

I've corrected JC Irish and although certain marks are allocated to Ábhar (how appropriate the essay is to the title) and some for Gaeilge, examiners are told that the two marks should balance. So if you wrote an outstanding essay that had nothing to do with the title, you wouldn't get 0/20 for Ábhar and 80/80 for Gaeilge. You wouldn't get zero overall either though. Don't worry about it too much anyway, there's so much choice in essay titles that there's bound to be something suited to your essay. Best of luck and make sure you've learnt the opening and closing paragraphs for the oráid/díospóireacht so you can choose that!

Advertisement