Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade time?

Options
  • 28-05-2017 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Been out of the PC building loop for quite some time and hoping for some advice. The motherboard on my current PC has bit the dust so I am considering just replacing it and sticking with the old tech for now, or biting the bullet and going for a new build (budget ~€500/600 as I've just bought yet more expensive camera gear and am at risk of being divorced if I spend even more !:eek::pac: )

Current PC specs:
    Intel i7 2600k
    Asrock P67 Pro3
    16GB of G-Skill RAM
    Four SSD drives (120GB boot/OS drive, a 240GB drive and two 500GB drives) along with a 3TB storage HDD
    Evga 1060 GTX 6GB

Am considering going for the components listed below:

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/65a451221eb41ab4a74c94f6ada91a93d67921ed35c14920d5e

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8x 3.00GHz So.AM4 BOX

Motherboard: MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX red DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

Usage will be primarily Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nforce wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Been out of the PC building loop for quite some time and hoping for some advice. The motherboard on my current PC has bit the dust so I am considering just replacing it and sticking with the old tech for now, or biting the bullet and going for a new build (budget ~€500/600 as I've just bought yet more expensive camera gear and am at risk of being divorced if I spend even more !:eek::pac: )

Current PC specs:
    Intel i7 2600k
    Asrock P67 Pro3
    16GB of G-Skill RAM
    Four SSD drives (120GB boot/OS drive, a 240GB drive and two 500GB drives) along with a 3TB storage HDD
    Evga 1060 GTX 6GB

Am considering going for the components listed below:

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/65a451221eb41ab4a74c94f6ada91a93d67921ed35c14920d5e

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8x 3.00GHz So.AM4 BOX

Motherboard: MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX red DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

Usage will be primarily Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
    Can't fault any of that.

Your old CPU & RAM are still in demand - expect €125 + €75 respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Cheers K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For those uses the 2600K is still a good processor and to be honest, if decently overclocked as it's a K series, it would actual match the Ryzen in Photoshop and the rest as it's one set of software that relies more on per-core performance than number of cores/threads.

So you can really get away with just getting a 2nd hand replacement board, another P67 or similar. If you were generally happy with the 2600K performance at stock speed, you can get away with a cheap basic H67 or similar board 2nd hand on Ebay for about €50.

Up to you really!

Cheers TerrorFirmer. I am/was happy enough with the performance of the 2600k,tbh. I'd a very mild overclock at 4GHz and it was completely stable. Had a look on Ebay for a replacement board and saw people asking for 100+ for a used one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Guy here selling 2500K, Z77 Sniper and 16GB Ram for €200 in Dublin.

I'm sure he'd sell the board for a good offer - or if not, if he's open to decent offer for the lot, it would be very easy to sell on the 16GB or 2500K for €120 at least and it also comes with a really nice CPU cooler.

Again the other option is to just get a more basic s1155 board - you'll sacrifice things like ram banks, pci-e lanes, etc so it may or may not suit depending on your setup, but the loss of the OC isn't much of a big deal, the 2600K turbo boosts automatically to 3.8Ghz anyway.

You can get these - H61M boards - for about €50-60 on Ebay 2nd hand.

One here for example for €65 posted from EU, and it's new.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. I've a couple of bids on boards on Ebay and have enquired about one on Adverts, so fingers crossed.

Picked up a brand new and unused Asus P67 board from ebay, so should be back in business by next week. It'll give me some breathing space whilst I consider a new build in the medium term. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement