Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring house what smart tech should I consider

Options
  • 28-05-2017 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi
    My house requires rewiring and wondering what smart light and socket technology should I consider. Is it there anything that does require wiring or are most switches wireless.

I was looking at traditional dimmer route for some switches what would you guys recommend

Budget not huge but don't want to miss out while getting rewire done .

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A few tips:

- have a neutral put at each switch (allows for wired smart switches)

- use extra deep back boxes for switches (allows for smart switch hardware to go behind the switch)

- make sure any dimmer switches are LED compatible ones.

- I'd use gu10 fittings for any spot light type lights and leds, don't use mr16 and transformers.

Non of the above should cost much extra if wiring anyway. Just need to request them of the electrician.

Might want to think about if you want to take the opportunity to also put conduit in the wall to allow you add new cables easily in future and if you might want to put in some cat6 cabling for Ethernet, improved wifi, hdmi over cat6, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

to add to bk's advice:

Lighting: Consider the switched circuits for lighting based on how you use the spaces e.g. if a shared kitchen / dining room, make sure the switching circuits allow you to distinguish between those spaces the way you want to.
    Or another example: in a sitting room, differentiate between ambient background lighting and really bright lighting

Heating controls: Include wiring for space heating controls / thermostats like nest, in sensible zones. Also, zone valve for the domestic hot water cylinder if you have one.

Intruder alarm: include ethernet point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Stumbled on this, might be of interest, brief but some good points

https://youtu.be/WJZ_8DvBdEc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm slightly off topic but since you are rewiring you should also consider future proofing the property for an electric vehicle.

That would require one cable (min 6sqmm) from the distribution board to a suitable place outside where you would put a charge point. For now just terminate it as a standard outdoor socket but because it will be cable rated 32A it can be changed to an EV Charge point at a later date.

Best of luck with the rest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Excellent point KCross, if you are building or re-wiring a home, you will most likely be in it for the next 20 years or more. Almost certainly everyone will have an EV by that point.

Also wiring or conduit to the roof for solar panels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement