Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction=Assisted delivery?

Options
  • 26-05-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi. My consultant has told me I will not be allowed to go over my due date so there is a strong likelihood I will be induced. First time mother so a lot of this is new to me. I told my doctor who said pains are more intense and there is a stronger possibility of the use of forceps and episiotomy. However she didn't recommend an epidural as she says the midwife is telling you to push but you can't sense anything. Personally I will opt for an epidural. Just wondering does anyone have experience of inductions and is recovery delayed by assisted delivery, forceps and episiotomy. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

angeline wrote: »
    Hi. My consultant has told me I will not be allowed to go over my due date so there is a strong likelihood I will be induced. First time mother so a lot of this is new to me. I told my doctor who said pains are more intense and there is a stronger possibility of the use of forceps and episiotomy. However she didn't recommend an epidural as she says the midwife is telling you to push but you can't sense anything. Personally I will opt for an epidural. Just wondering does anyone have experience of inductions and is recovery delayed by assisted delivery, forceps and episiotomy. Thanks.

I've had two babies, but no inductions. I did, however, have a vacuum delivery and an episiotomy on my first. I had an epidural, which didn't work properly.
    On my second, I had no epidural, no vacuum or other assistance, and just a small tear (second degree I think).
    I couldn't say that the recovery was any different for one over the other.

I also have a couple of friends who had inductions, and epidurals, with no episiotomy, or other assistance, and no problems with recovery.

Is there a particular reason for not being allowed to go over your due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I was induced. My partner was told to go home and that I would be induced again in the morning as they thought It wouldn't happen. It did...2 hours later contractions started. Pain was intense. I got epidural and in the end an emergency c section was required but it wasn't a great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I wasn't induced but did have an assisted delivery where the vacuum was needed to get my little girl out. I used gas and air. They had to cut me to get the suction on to her head but with so much going on I barely felt it.
    She's my first baby so can't compare the healing to anything but the tenderness only lasted a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi jlm29. Thanks for the info. I'm being treated as high risk for a couple of reasons one being high blood pressure and and at risk for preeclampsia. I just asked the consultant out of curiosity re my delivery and he said I would not be allowed to go over my due date. Everything has gone smoothly so far touch wood so maybe he might change his view closer to the date but that's his current stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Induction with both due to pre eclampsia. I can't comment on the pain as I had epidurals. I had to have an episiotomy both times. I couldn't feel any pain but I was aware of the contractions so I knew when to push. My recovery was fine, was home a few hours later.

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »
    I was induced. My partner was told to go home and that I would be induced again in the morning as they thought It wouldn't happen. It did...2 hours later contractions started. Pain was intense. I got epidural and in the end an emergency c section was required but it wasn't a great experience

No, not ideal. That's my concern. That I will be induced and at the end of it all will need an emergency c section. I know you can't predict any delivery but I am more likely to have complications according to consultant. I'm thinking a planned c section might be better in my circumstances. Obviously a natural delivery would be way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm having a planned induction in 10 days when I'll be 37+4. It's my second delivery so it is more likely to be successful. Just wanted to say that regardless of whether you go with induction or section, do go with the doctors recommendation not to go past due. Anything around healing and recovery can be handled so long as you and baba are safe. Xx

Thumpette wrote: »
    I'm having a planned induction in 10 days when I'll be 37+4. It's my second delivery so it is more likely to be successful. Just wanted to say that regardless of whether you go with induction or section, do go with the doctors recommendation not to go past due. Anything around healing and recovery can be handled so long as you and baba are safe. Xx

Oh I will defo go with consultant's recommendation. As you say the safety of the baby is the most important thing here so will fully follow his advice. Best of luck with your induction in 10 days and hope it all goes smoothly for you and baba.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I've been induced 3 times and then 1 c section in between. No intervention, no stitches. 1 epidural on my induction after my section because I had too.

I think your consultant is being over cautious.

[quote="Kaylami;103634436"

I think your consultant is being over cautious.[/quote]

Random (and potentially dangerous) opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Thumpette wrote: »
    Random (and potentially dangerous) opinion.

I think you have taken my post wrong. I agree with following the doctors advice but focusing on interventions simply because it's an induction?

Yes there is a higher rate of intervention with induction but people are induced everyday without complications so why would the consultant focus on that?

Kaylami wrote: »
    I think you have taken my post wrong. I agree with following the doctors advice but focusing on interventions simply because it's an induction?

Yes there is a higher rate of intervention with induction but people are induced everyday without complications so why would the consultant focus on that?

Sorry I did take you up wrong. I thought you were suggesting that he was over reacting in inducing.

Apologies.

The consultant didn't mention interventions at all. It was my GP who mentioned forceps and episiotomy. Because of what my GP said I was wondering was there a higher rate of interventions associated with inductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

The consultant didn't mention interventions at all. It was my GP who mentioned forceps and episiotomy. Because of what my GP said I was wondering was there a higher rate of interventions associated with inductions.

Quite simply yes there are. Induction generally means baby isn't ready to come yet (obviously there are different degrees of being favourable/unfavourable) so it can be harder to get them out than when you go into spontaneous labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

So was it your GP who recommended you don't have an epidural? TBH, I'd take no notice of what your GP is saying, and just listen to the consultant. Your GP possibly hasn't attended a birth in years!
    Your GP is right, obviously, in that there are more interventions associated with induction, but I'd just focus on one opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I was induced on a Mon at 42 w with my first, 1st gel did nothing, after 2nd I started contractions at 5 that became quite intense at about 10, my waters broke around 2am, but still didn't dilate by 8am even though I was getting contractions every minute. During all this I was moving as much as possible to try to encourage labour. 10 am was put on oxytocin drip, was on gas and air and birthing ball and checked at one and still not dilated. Asked for epidural then as hadn't slept and would have not had any energy to push anyway. Finally started to dilate at 4pm and they kept checking, was finally close around 10pm. Epidural worked great and I could feel contractions and not pain when I needed to push. I only had a small episiotomy and no forceps. Finally had him 1 am on the Wed, was touch and go whether I would be sectioned due to length of time after waters breaking but thankfully was not.

I might be induced at 39 weeks this time as baby measuring small, really was hoping to go natural as it was very strong and painful contractions, but hopefully will be quicker 2nd time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

At my 38week appointment I was told I'd be examined the next week to see about induction due to GD and the baby being large. The night before I was due that appointment I went into labour myself. My 7lbs1oz (large?!!!) girl was born exactly a week early.
    It's good to be prepared but you might have nothing to worry about.

smaoifs wrote: »
    At my 38week appointment I was told I'd be examined the next week to see about induction due to GD and the baby being large. The night before I was due that appointment I went into labour myself. My 7lbs1oz (large?!!!) girl was born exactly a week early.
    It's good to be prepared but you might have nothing to worry about.

Hi. Yeah it would be great if I go in to labour myself. Funny you should mention how they thought the baby would be large. My friend went private with an excellent consultant and was in labour for hours and hours. Ended up having an emergency c section as baby was so big at over 10lbs and she could never have given birth naturally. She went back to the consultant after who couldn't understand how he got the baby's size so wrong. I'll just be glad to have my baby born healthy in the end but no harm in being aware of the various possibilities and good to hear different stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've been induced with all three of mine. I had no epidural on any of them. My first was a vacuum delivery, no episiotomy. I had a second degree tear but it healed quickly. I had no intervention with my second or third.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Midwife

Inductions can be very positive and definitely make sense when there are medical complications.  The hormones used to start labour can make it more challenging for some mums to cope with an unmedicated but it's not impossible.  Inductions can take a while too so the epic can help you rest.    If you need the epi you need it - yes it can make an assisted birth more likely (a cesareans too if it doesn't work) but in some cases it's not to do with mum/baby's health but time limits some hospitals have on the pushing stage.  

Chat to the midwives about passive descent which means that when you get to 10cm they don't start you pushing right away - your body does a lot of the work for you so you can rest and enjoy your epidural while your body nudges your baby down.  This is assuming there's no emergency.  Asking for more time might mean the difference between an instrumental and a straightforward birth with minimal injury.  Talk to your consultant about this option when you see him again.  The most recent research suggests that even 3 hours of that pushing stage is fine for a first time mum (you're not actually pushing for 3 hours just letting your body do the work for most of that time).
    Hope it goes great for you!
    Tracy

• Advertisement

Thanks Tracy. I will definitely mention this to the consultant in 2 weeks. As you say once there is no emergency it would be better to let the baby move down itself and therefore hopefully avoid the need for extra assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

There's a ton of misinformation out there about induction. The rates for induction births in IReland are higher than average My midwife has told me that once there is an intervention (for example induction) then you invite a "cascade of interventions". Episiotomy is likely, need for epidural (which slows down birth) is higher as the contractions with an induction come on much harder and faster, need for suction and/or forceps birth, or C-section increases as birth takes longer and hospitals unfortunately do not have the patience or the time to let things progress on their own - the rates for episiotomy are particularly high in Ireland.

I have to say I am annoyed when I hear people say the baby's health is all that matters - you matter too. And doctors (more than midwives) play on the fear that your "inaction" will harm your baby to use unnecessary interventions. I'm not saying that you don't need an induction (obviously I have no idea of your needs) but be aware that doctors will say things based on their opinion rather than actual research and data.

Well, I'm at high risk of preeclampsia and other risk factors and this is why the obstetrician told me I would not be allowed to go past my due date. Having said that, I saw a recent article which showed the percentages of episiotomy, caesareans, etc, in each hospital in Ireland and was slightly concerned to see that my hospital had one of the largest numbers of interventions in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was induced an opted for an epidural. The drip made the contractions extremely strong in a very short time and the epidural made it a lot more bearable. Epis nowadays don't numb you completely, you should still feel every contraction, just not as intensely. No forceps or episiotomy needed here, just a natural tear which is par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Well, I'm at high risk of preeclampsia and other risk factors and this is why the obstetrician told me I would not be allowed to go past my due date. Having said that, I saw a recent article which showed the percentages of episiotomy, caesareans, etc, in each hospital in Ireland and was slightly concerned to see that my hospital had one of the largest numbers of interventions in the country.

OK sorry I didn't realise you had pre eclampsia. I wish you the best of luck. Do lots of research and find the right answers for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was told the same as you because I had Pregnancy induced hypertension and was very likely to develop pre eclampsia (actually only avoided an even earlier induction by a minuscule amount of protein the week before I hit 40weeks). I was having three times a week blood pressure series from 34 weeks, on blood pressure meds and was heavily monitored. I had what was technically termed a failed induction as it hadn't worked. However about 7 hours after my last gel labour kicked off and I had a very fast labour. Baby born at 7am, no time for an epidural, just gas and air and an episiotomy to avoid a tear at the end.

My baby was in distress and I wouldn't have changed any of the interventions by doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

I was induced with my first. Drip in and contractions started about an hour later. I'd say play it by ear with the epidural and don't make your mind up until you see how things are going on the day. Moving around helps baby come down and get things going. If you're not on your back during delivery then it can help things along as well (lying on your back reduces the amount of space baby has to get out as your 'tailbone' gets in the way.)

You could try one of the active birth classes if you're nervous about what might happen on the day- I found that it helped me accept what was happening as normal instead of being overly focused on the medical side of things.

You could also try acupuncture to try to avoid the induction...it worked for me on no 2 (was due for induction, tried acupuncture the day before scheduled to go in and I went into labour 2 hours later.) Probably coincidence but it's worth a go!

(I just did gas and air on both - I never really got as far as wanting the epidural but certainly had it as an option in my head!)

Thanks for all the info. A lot to consider. My hypertension isn't pregnancy induced. I had hypertension before falling pregnant which was and is well controlled. However, even having controlled hypertension means I'm at risk of preeclampsia. In fact the obstetrician gave 3 reasons as to why I am at high risk of preeclampsia. It may not happen at all but being closely monitored nevertheless.

Advertisement