Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare Major Award Level 5

Options
  • 26-05-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey everyone!

I've just started my Level 5 in childcare and was wondering who else is out there doing it and would like to connect and share ideas and advice.

I'm doing it with the Open College, I'm working full time in childcare and have a toddler so would be great to have someone to bounce ideas with!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 purple palace

Im not doing any childcare course, but I was wondering how do you find the open college. I have been looking at their courses for a while but not sure about them as a company. I.e the quality of the course, and the time needed to study. I work full time and have children. I just wanted to see if their course is value for money. There's a lot out there that are not great at being recognized by potential employers. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

... I just wanted to see if their course is value for money. There's a lot out there that are not great at being recognized by potential employers. Thank you

From the "Why Study With Us" section of http://www.theopencollege.com/
    All our Awards are Fully Validated & Approved by QQI.

From the "Who are QQI?" section of the same site:
    Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is a state agency established by the Quality Assurance and Qualifications (Education and Training) Act 2012.

QQI is an amalgamation of the previously operational Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC); the Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC); the Irish Universities Quality Board (IUQB) and the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (NQAI).

Even if an employer has a dim view of online learning, they can't quibble with QQI accreditation since it's the state standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Im not doing any childcare course, but I was wondering how do you find the open college. I have been looking at their courses for a while but not sure about them as a company. I.e the quality of the course, and the time needed to study. I work full time and have children. I just wanted to see if their course is value for money. There's a lot out there that are not great at being recognized by potential employers. Thank you

Hi!

The first thing I did with them was the SNA component at level 6. I didn't have any problems with the college at all. Because os changing jobs and the toddler I went over the 6 month period allowed to completed and sent them an email asking if I was ok to still send it in and it wasn't any hassle. They corrected it and I have my certificate.

As for employment, I don't see why employers would frown upon it. I'm already employed so for me it didn't matter much.

In the end I went with them because of cost. Now I'm finding it quite good the way they are relaxed (definitly need that because of how busy I am) but also they maintain professionalism. They are helpful and as of yet I can't fault them. I had some lengthy phone calls before beginning this course with them where they helped me make sure that this is what I needed and working out a 6 month payement plan to spread the cost.

I definitely recommend but if that changes I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 purple palace

Thanks a mill for your replies! I've been looking to upskill for some time now, its great to hear other people's views on the open college! Now I just have to decide which courses I want to do! I will be doing some courses relevant to my employment and some that are of interest to me! Better get my brain fired up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gema17

HI, I am doing level 5 with Chevron training, and struggling with the las 2 modules looking gor some help, how are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

Terribly would be the answer! But thanks for the reply i really need a kick up the butt to get going and would be happy to try and help! I am off work now with pregnancy related issues which means I want to start catching up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gema17

Hi everyoul somebody help me please?
    Doing the last 2 modules and struggling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 James Nelson

it seems that it's pretty difficult to accomplish everything, I think it's better to navigate to this site and get some professional help just not to be overstressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Revathy Kutty

So doing courses with chevron training will be the bad option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Revathy Kutty

What is the best option for doing online early childhood course and with which college?

• Advertisement
Advertisement