Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness protection ireland.do we have it?

Options
  • 25-05-2017 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

As the title says do we have witness protection and is it used. Have anyone ever heard of someone in it.
    Do u suspect anyone in it maybe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wtf is up with these types of threads recently?
    What's your average monthly phone bill? Do you eat fish? What's your average monthly spendings?
    Of course there's witness protection and anyone in it will hardly be advertising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

No. Neither does the Uk. You'll end up sitting beside the person you've decided to give evidence against at some stage on some crappy bench outside a courtroom. It's quite sobering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gravity9.81

bear1 wrote: »
    Wtf is up with these types of threads recently?
    What's your average monthly phone bill? Do you eat fish? What's your average monthly spendings?
    Of course there's witness protection and anyone in it will hardly be advertising it.

God ur in a mood. Bet ur in witness protection u just dont want to talk about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

God ur in a mood. Bet ur in witness protection u just dont want to talk about it

No but a quick Google would have answered your question.

Ok so any one have any experance of witness protection in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ok so any one have any experance of witness protection in ireland.

Give us a bit of context. What kind of trouble are you in exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, there is one in Ireland.
    Witnesses in the programme are given a new identity, address and armed police protection either in Ireland or abroad (generally in Anglophone countries, such as the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and mainland Europe). Law enforcement in host countries may cooperate with the Garda S?och?na in providing security for witnesses in the programme, such as the United States Marshals Service (USMS) in America. Protectees are usually provided with financial assistance, as they regularly must leave their previous employment. Court appearances by witnesses in protection are carried out under the security of the Garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU), the premier armed tactical operations group in Irish law enforcement (and a section of the SDU). The Irish Prison Service may also be involved in providing security to witnesses, if they are in prison at the time. There has never been a reported breach of security in which a protectee was harmed.

Given the budget: The annual budget for the programme was €1.198 million in 2013, and was expected to be the same in 2014, I doubt there are too many people being protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My ex was friendly with the family of a man placed on a witness protection scheme.
    Her brother was a friend of the bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My brother worked on witness protection in another country for a few years, he was given an alternate identity himself whilst he did it. Hardest for the kids who get uprooted and all normality taken away.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

*Asking for a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

ha, bit small of a country to do the american style 'move to south dakota' thing.

if their associates in cork dont catch you, and you ratted out some dubliners, then odds are you're in galway.

I watched a movie sometime back about sadams sons lookalike who now lives in ireland
    Good movies cant think of the name.
    I quess with the ra and drug gang murders we have witnesses that need protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Witless protection d'ya mean? Sure there's loads of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's a house in the nearest city to me that has detectives or gardai of some kind outside 24/7. Iirc they follow the occupants when they go out..they were witnesses in a gangland case.

I'm not sure on this but I think they go on holidays with them as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There's a house in the nearest city to me that has detectives or gardai of some kind outside 24/7. Iirc they follow the occupants when they go out..they were witnesses in a gangland case.

I'm not sure on this but I think they go on holidays with them as well!

Are you sure that's not a brothel?

Wonder do ya get a new passport pps driving licence and set up money. Could be a nice second start if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think there is a system in place that helps people move abroad. There may be a relationship with the UK on this. They'll help set people up over here and vice versa.

Don't think there is the whole name change and new identity thing with it though. You just have to keep your head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

They move us to Leitrim :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

I had a neighbour from the USA growing up, this woman was heavy set and had a son called Stephen

He was quiet and kept few friends but a friend did something like notify a relative of the accused to slag them off etc

The mother and son have disappeared and all accounts deleted even the friends acc are all gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I had a neighbour from the USA growing up, this woman was heavy set and had a son called Stephen

He was quiet and kept few friends but a friend did something like notify a relative of the accused to slag them off etc

The mother and son have disappeared and all accounts deleted even the friends acc are all gone

I'm sure that made sense in your head as you typed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,025 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As the title says do we have witness protection and is it used. Have anyone ever heard of someone in it.
    Do u suspect anyone in it maybe

Would be a crap system if I knew that!

I think it's only given to high profile criminals upon their release, such as the Jami Bolger killers or Maxine Carr.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Would be a crap system if I knew that!

I think it's only given to high profile criminals upon their release, such as the Jami Bolger killers or Maxine Carr.

Wasn't there a case in Limerick I think it was where an innocent family got caught up with gangland lads and they were offered witness protection? Basically a new life in a different country. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Stigura wrote: »
    They move us to Leitrim :cool:
    Don't they call that South Central Leitrim these days? Where all the gangsta hommies hang out.

Wasn't there a case in Limerick I think it was where an innocent family got caught up with gangland lads and they were offered witness protection? Basically a new life in a different country. I think.

The Collins family?
    Iirc they emmigrated with some support and protection etc but under their actual names etc. They came back for Christmas etc once or twice too I think.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/steve-collins-in-road-accident-that-claimed-life-of-elderly-woman-34463841.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, there is one in Ireland.

Given the budget: The annual budget for the programme was €1.198 million in 2013, and was expected to be the same in 2014, I doubt there are too many people being protected.
    It's such a small coubtry geographically that I would imagine a good few witness protection programs involve moving abroad (assuming we we agreements with other nations about this). I have nothing to back this up though, just a hunch.

Advertisement