Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable time for laptop repair

Options
  • 25-05-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

I bought a laptop in power city 3 months ago.
    Two weeks ago it just wouldn't come on, stuck on the loading screen.
    Brought it back and was told it will take up to 3 weeks as it needs to be sent to Germany.
    Phoned them for an update and i was told i would get a call back but nothing.

Talking with them today they said it could take 6 weeks and apologized about misinformation i was given

Surely that is not good enough ?
    I 'm now stuck with no laptop and 6 weeks seems like very poor customer service for a repair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Ask for your money back and buy the same one off the shelf if the price is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No, 6 weeks is not reasonable. Request an alternative solution - replace/refund. If nothing is forthcoming, start small claims procedures.

Power City are popping up here quite a bit lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

theteal wrote: »
    No, 6 weeks is not reasonable. Request an alternative solution - replace/refund. If nothing is forthcoming, start small claims procedures.

Power City are popping up here quite a bit lately

Small claims will take longer than 6 weeks I think?

Op ask why it'll take so long, are they waiting for parts-thats reasonable. If it's shipping taking a week each way - unreasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Maybe social media might speed up the process.
    If my car broke down under warranty it wouldn't take that long to repair.
    I'll phone them again but when you call they ask for your number so they can call you back but they never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Did you sign anything when they took it off you? generally it will stipulate an amount of time like 3-5 weeks

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Did you sign anything when they took it off you? generally it will stipulate an amount of time like 3-5 weeks

No i didn't sign anything. I was told by the agent about 3 weeks but on the live chat they told me 6.

Even if the laptop went by road and not air that is still far too long to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

talk is cheap. too late now but if your leaving stuff like this back again ask for a receipt and get them to sign the expected time frame. You have no proof the person said 3 weeks, you only have proof of them saying 6 weeks assuming you have recorded the chat

Got it back today but minus the charger.
    They wouldn't give me a a replacement as they said it was the repairers fault for not returning it.

The phoned me there to say they have found it so now i need to go back up again.
    Shocking service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Next time, insist on them giving you a charger. It's hardly your fault if the repairer they use is incompetent. Did they at least offer you something as compensation for your wasted time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I bought a laptop in power city 3 months ago.
    Two weeks ago it just wouldn't come on, stuck on the loading screen.
    Brought it back and was told it will take up to 3 weeks as it needs to be sent to Germany.
    Phoned them for an update and i was told i would get a call back but nothing.

Talking with them today they said it could take 6 weeks and apologized about misinformation i was given

Surely that is not good enough ?
    I 'm now stuck with no laptop and 6 weeks seems like very poor customer service for a repair.

It only took 2 weeks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement