Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking of deferring second year

Options
  • 25-05-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm a first year primary teaching student. I started the school year in another college doing arts, and got a very late, 5th round offer to do primary teaching, so I switched college, thinking i would spend a year less in college this way. I started the year in September. Now, I failed teaching practice and have to do it again during June, taking nearly a third out of the summer for me. I really need a break. This year has been physically and mentally exhausting, as I spent a lot of the year on trains (on top of buses to and from my hometown at weekends), or if I wasn't on the commute I was sleeping on couches.

Also, since I switched college, I'm just bored. In my college, all the lads are just GAA-heads, and that's not me. The people on my course just bore me, and there's no societies for me find friends with more specific interests. I have a severe lack of interest in the words coming out of people's mouths, which leads me to tune out a lot. I appear dumb to people sometimes because of this, and I f***ing hate it. I'm also over a year younger than nearly everyone in my course. I sort of regret switching college. Primary teaching itself is alright, but the course content and the people are boring. I wouldn't say I'm passionate about teaching kids, I just have a knack for working with children and I wanted the paid holidays. I've got depressed at several points this year.

I want to do something that makes me feel alive for a career, like music. I would actually rather work non-academic jobs and save and start businesses, but all my mother (a single mother) will see is a boy who fill f*** up like she did with her life. I feel like she just wants to slap a degree on me to prove a point to my grandparents.

Anyway, back to deferring, I want to do this for a break after my teaching practice, get a job for a year, and pursue my other interests and also complete my Gáisce award. I would also like to make some more friends in my hometown, which is something I kinda didn't do because I went to a school outside of my town for the LC, and wasn't involved in much sport after 5th year. My mother keeps saying that I will get a really good SUSI grant next year, because she had very few hours, and that I should return next September. She says I would have more money for going out, but I don't even like the crowd I'd go out with that much. She said that me working in a gap year would mess it up, which I know it will, but surely, from working full time for 14 months, I would have enough for accommodation and fees the 2018-2019 year. If not, I would take a loan out for whatever I'd need for the accommodation and fees, but I highly doubt I would need a loan. This is also the same mother who offered to take a loan out so I could stay on campus, which I didn't want to. Hell, I'd say I'd still get some form of a SUSI grant even if i did work. All my family thinks that if I defer, I will drop out and mess my life up. I feel as if I'm an Asian kid being pressured to be a doctor. The only way I'd drop out tbh, is if a music career somehow took off during my gap year. Even if I did drop out, I could never sit on my ass, but returning to college is my intent. One more benefit of deferring, is that I will join a new crowd of people who are my own age when I return to college. Still a good chance they could be boring because it's a primary teaching course I'm in, but there's still that chance.

What should I do guys? I'm worn out and pretty certain that deferring a year will benefit me and revitalise me for 2nd year in college. I have a plan of things I want to do during my year out. I would like to rest my mind seeing as I skipped TY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Please don't continue with teaching if your main reason is the holidays. You appear to hate it, and you failed teaching practice. Children deserve better.

Advertisement