Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bank account - asked for back of driver's licence

Options
  • 25-05-2017 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭

Hopefully at the end of a torturous KBC current account set up.

After reviewing my application they've noticed I sent in Drivers' licenses for ID. They have come back looking for copies of the back of each licence.

What extra information are they looking for from the back of the licence that could be of any benefit. I presume they are following Central Bank regulations, just can't figure out the need. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think this is just standard practice for some companies. I wouldn't get too anxious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think this is just standard practice for some companies. I wouldn't get too anxious about it.

I can understand why an insurance company would ask for it, but not a bank.

But, as you say standard practice, someone has put something in the Call Centre script without thinking it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just looking at the info on the back. One piece of information that may be useful that isn't on the front is #10 which seems to be when you first got a driving licence. That kind of information could be of interest to a bank as it's proof that you were in the country at that time. It does seem a bit OTT though to make the opening of a current account contingent on getting this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

I was asked for my drivers licence by a smallish business, I showed them the licence as ID but the guy said he wanted to scan it, I told him no and laughed, He basically gave me some cop out excuse saying it was actually a law, but I told them I'm not having ID details in a small private companys hands/server. I didnt press him on the actual alleged law, but miraculously he was able to complete the transaction without it.

For a larger business like a bank/taking a loan, Id expect its likely to be a requirement but not for somewhat routine transactions. Id be less concerned and consider I have more chance of dealing with any issues relating to infringements by a larger organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just looking at the info on the back. One piece of information that may be useful that isn't on the front is #10 which seems to be when you first got a driving licence. That kind of information could be of interest to a bank as it's proof that you were in the country at that time. It does seem a bit OTT though to make the opening of a current account contingent on getting this info.

#10 indeed lists a date when you first obtained each category of your licence, but its not a proof you were in the country then. Licence could have been obtained in different country, and then exchanged for Irish licence.
    F.e. my Irish licence lists I got my B category in 1999, but first time I've ever been in Ireland was in 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

1874 wrote: »
    I was asked for my drivers licence by a smallish business, I showed them the licence as ID but the guy said he wanted to scan it, I told him no and laughed, He basically gave me some cop out excuse saying it was actually a law, but I told them I'm not having ID details in a small private companys hands/server. I didnt press him on the actual alleged law, but miraculously he was able to complete the transaction without it.

For a larger business like a bank/taking a loan, Id expect its likely to be a requirement but not for somewhat routine transactions. Id be less concerned and consider I have more chance of dealing with any issues relating to infringements by a larger organisation.

It is something that has to be done under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010. Copies of identification need to be held on file for 5 years +

You're also supposed to discontinue business with clients who refuse. Now with that being said there are a good few exemptions that I'm not 100% on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

This was for a routine task for a moderate sum,

it wasn't like I ordered bullet proof glass all round my house, was paying in a large sum of cash out of a suitcase and told them I dont want a receipt or record as want it under the radar.

Advertisement