Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir switched everyone to VOIP?

Options
  • 25-05-2017 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭

Have all lines been switched to voip even if you opted out of the switch over? I haven't moved the phone line into the other socket on my router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

No, they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I believe Vodafone is doing this. Not aware of Eir moving people over.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ethernet wrote: »
    I believe Vodafone is doing this. Not aware of Eir moving people over.
    Vodafone were doing it alright, when I was still with them nearly a year ago. You could opt out though.

I'm with Digiweb now, and it's VOIP as standard - not sure if there's any option not to, not that I tried looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there some perception that PSTN is somehow better than VOIP for calls?

I get this impression from various posts I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there some perception that PSTN is somehow better than VOIP for calls?

I get this impression from various posts I have read.

There is an argument for increased resilience on crappy ADSL lines as a damp line can fail to sync but still be acceptable for calls. With VDSL VOIP is arguably less susceptible as it only runs 10% as far.

Mostly its inertia and resistant to change than any technical reason, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I have FTTH with Eir for the past 18 months and still have my POTS line. I had read a post about Voda and a few other suppliers trying to migrate customer from their POTS lines to VOIP, so I rang Eir to see if I can migrate to VOIP (Broadband Talk I think you call it?)

The girl I spoke to says that they cannot migrate existing POTS lines to VOIP currently? I was a bit surprised to be honest, as I thought this was the direction that they were trying to move towards? :confused:

Shyboy wrote: »
    I have FTTH with Eir for the past 18 months and still have my POTS line. I had read a post about Voda and a few other suppliers trying to migrate customer from their POTS lines to VOIP, so I rang Eir to see if I can migrate to VOIP (Broadband Talk I think you call it?)

The girl I spoke to says that they cannot migrate existing POTS lines to VOIP currently? I was a bit surprised to be honest, as I thought this was the direction that they were trying to move towards? :confused:

I also am a bit surprised by that.
    It might appear that they do not have the systems in place to port the existing number to VOIP.
    I cannot fathom what else could prevent it.
    Other providers on eir fibre appear to be able to manage this.

I also am a bit surprised by that.
    It might appear that they do not have the systems in place to port the existing number to VOIP.
    I cannot fathom what else could prevent it.
    Other providers on eir fibre appear to be able to manage this.

Porting a number is such a straight-forward procedure these days between different providers. I am shocked that Eir can't even port a number between themselves?? :eek:

Shyboy wrote: »
    Porting a number is such a straight-forward procedure these days between different providers. I am shocked that Eir can't even port a number between themselves?? :eek:

Likewise, as I posted ...... but what else could prevent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd be almost sure the process exists already and just isnt in their bespoke sales package. Every change has to go back to the developer and costs €€€€. So Katie in CS doesn't have a button to click to do it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

All new Eir customers are put on VoIP and it is becoming a standard. Existing Eir customers are not forced to switch over to VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RobiePAX wrote: »
    All new Eir customers are put on VoIP and it is becoming a standard. Existing Eir customers are not forced to switch over to VoIP.

Are they still giving new VOIP customers 076 prefix numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    Are they still giving new VOIP customers 076 prefix numbers?

No. I got a local number to my area. That was back in November 2017.

RobiePAX wrote: »

No, no-one is being forced to switch from POTS to VOIP but I know that Eir Wholesale had an incentive a while back (maybe last year?) with providers to try and get their existing customers to migrate their POTS lines to VOIP. Was it something like 100 euro credit per customer who switched?

This is why I am surprised that Eir retail themselves don't have a similar incentive or even the option for customers who want to migrate? :confused:

Not the end of the world to be honest, but I do like the option of being able to make/answer calls on the Eir App if I am not at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Was contemplating switching from Vodafone to Eir last month (to get fibre-to-the-home installed (VF couldn't do it) and was told by Eir that I didn't have to take the VOIP (i.e. that I could stay with POTS). I didn't go through with it in the end.

VF are now telling me that they can install fibre-to-the-home but that VOIP will replace POTS - no option. Admittedly, I've yet to thrash out the finer points of the VF deal, so I'm hoping I can hold onto POTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

VF are now telling me that they can install fibre-to-the-home but that VOIP will replace POTS - no option. Admittedly, I've yet to thrash out the finer points of the VF deal, so I'm hoping I can hold onto POTS.

They won't let you keep the copper, because it would cost them substantial money. Under their agreements, they would have pay the line rental for both lines.

Vodafone pricing for FTTH on OpenEIRs network is here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/108101988 . Not sure, if the first 6 months discount applies, when you're a current customer. They don't have the pricing on their website, atm.

And their monthly download limit is 1TB, but that would be the same or less with your current setup.

Also, the only reason to keep pots would be if you have a panic button system. Most alarm systems can be changed to GSM. Also Eir will eventually fase the copper phone lines out, because the gear they have is getting old and it's hard to get replacements. They are already proposing 128 kBit/s FTTH circuits only for the use of phone. Essentially phone over fibre.

/M

Where eir customers remain on POTS, do eir attempt to charge line rental on the copper, as well as the fibre broadband charge?

Nothing I have read (and absorbed) has been explicit about this.

Where eir customers remain on POTS, do eir attempt to charge line rental on the copper, as well as the fibre broadband charge?

Nothing I have read (and absorbed) has been explicit about this.

They don't seem to do that, no. But that may be down to different contracts. As part of the regulated pricing, they don't have to offer it like that to other operators.

Then again .. i would always double check my bill. You never know, when they change their mind.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

<snip>
    Also, the only reason to keep pots would be if you have a panic button system. <snip>

/M

...or when the electricity supply goes (as it does more often that most).

...or when the electricity supply goes (as it does more often that most).

That can be sorted with a battery backup for ONT and router.

The landline is actually more a hazard exactly for that reason. The majority of lighting strikes come down the phone line.

Also .. most people have mobile phones these days and on those you can even make emergency calls on, when you don't have a SIM. That negates the need for a landline. Who else would you want to call, when the power goes ?

/M

• Advertisement

ESB Networks - to log a fault.
    No mobile reception around my area.

Marlow wrote: »
    That can be sorted with a battery backup for ONT and router.

The landline is actually more a hazard exactly for that reason. The majority of lighting strikes come down the phone line.

Also .. most people have mobile phones these days and on those you can even make emergency calls on, when you don't have a SIM. That negates the need for a landline. Who else would you want to call, when the power goes ?

/M

No mobile phones work in my home ..... except for VOIP through the broadband connection!

;)

ESB Networks - to log a fault.
    No mobile reception around my area.

Well. Get used to that eventually the copper phone lines will disappear. And then you will have to look at alternatives.

Or you'll have to pay a premium to keep your copper line.

Even the USO is fulfilled using mobile with outdoor antennas these days.

/M

Advertisement