Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo travel room share

Options
  • 24-05-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of going in a group tour solo. Rather than pay the supplement, there is an option to be matched with another solo traveller. Usually I'd say NO but the supplement is about 800 euros. What do,ppl think.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

All depends are you a light sleeper heavy sleeper do you snore do you like your personal space are you an easy going person or can you tolerate someone who has irritable habits ?

I done a group tour twas a 14 day trip and I had my own room. There was on 4 occasions we had to bunk in as a group on trains /home stays etc and that's another story. For my sins I snore and a heavy sleeper and i like my own space and to be honest I was glad I had it . While it's nice being in a group when you spend 10 plus hours a day with people it's nice to get away from them. There was 2 fellas who were sharing and one was always getting sick and the other was dieing with a dose of the trots. Eh no thanks !!!! If you head to exotic places that will happen . And one was always giving out about the others bad habits .

For me I'm at a stage in my life I can afford it and value my personal space. If you cant afford it then share and bring spare ear plugs for yourself and your room mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks for it that! That's exactly what I'm thinking. I do snore(especially after a few beers) and i do like my own me time. I'm not sure about being always 'on' for entertaining ppl. Living alone, I do value my own space and would be a bit intolerant if someone was a pain in the backside for example.

Like anyone, id rather not have to fork out an extra 800 euro but I'd hate to look back day two or 3 onto it and say should have trusted my instinct!

I think you've helped me make up my mind. Solo all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

what company are you using that allows a solo room supplement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

dashoonage wrote: »
    what company are you using that allows a solo room supplement ?

All of them Exodus, explore, intrepid and g adventures have solo options

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did it years ago, on a trip that included the Trans-Siberian. The funny thing is there were eight solos, four under 30 and four over 70 and they matched each young person with an oldie. We thought it was very odd at first, but it worked out as the different age groups sought each other out and brought their pal with them. Some of the oldies were great fun.

To be fair, I wouldn't do it now, not that it would bother me, but I know I snore loudly and the other person might kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Bring ear plugs for everyone and share

Use the 800 to live it up while on hols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

worded wrote:
    Bring ear plugs for everyone and shareUse the 800 to live it up while on hols

Makes no difference 😠I was doing a group tour and I was doing a single room supplement except where I had to share for 2 home stay s and 2 over night trains . We had a Swiss girl travelling with us and she was an absolute cretin she had ear plugs . She had been warned and told, us men snored and and she still actively looking to bunk beside us at night and then would give out about in middle of night and next day ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sharing on a holiday in August for 8 nights, the person I am sharing with is about 23 years older, we have been in contact via email.
    Saving around €800 as well, just couldn't justify paying the supplement and it will be part of a longer holiday, and being on my own I think it will be nice.

Advertisement