Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to get deed of separation

Options
  • 24-05-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my wife split just over 2 years ago. She decided the marriage was no longer working. We have no shared property or any kind of assets together (or children). It was a relatively short marriage.

I wanted to start looking into getting a mortgage and decided to get deed of separation so we had something in writing.

I talked to my wife, told her everything I had in assets and asked did she want to discuss agreeing on monetary terms.

We've agreed on those and everything is fine between us.

My lawyer is charging 6k euro to do up the deed. He also said my wife needs a lawyer to review the deed with her. This is an additional 3k (quoted), which I would also need to pay.

This seems a little over the top? Everything is fine between us, but I worry that once my wife gets a lawyer, they will try to create problems where none exist on the agreement we settled on.

Is this the normal way a deed of separation is agreed on? Is there any easier solution? If we're both good on our terms of separation, should we just wait for a divorce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

If you both are in agreement maybe a divorce might be worth it as by your post you only have less that 2 years before you can apply for the divorce. The courts are busy with separations and divorces and legal teams holding things up. If you get your head around the divorce you can start to look up what you need for the process and do it both yourself...and for roughly 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about that. The only challenge is, I want to get a mortgage and the bank want to see a separation agreement and some kind of waiver.

I didn't expect it to be so complex given we're both fine on our terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

You can do the separation agreement yourself also without the need of a solicitor.

Advertisement