Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on improving Irish?

Options
  • 24-05-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Currently in 5th year doing Irish at OL, just a little disclaimer, I was never good at Irish, but I feel this is mainly because I have never focused on the language, I always hated the fact we had to learn a language that is dying. But now it is different, and of course I'm paying for it. I'm barely passing OL Irish and need to improve it, I've gotten nothing but C's and D's throughout 5th year. According to my teacher my pronunciation is brilliant but I need to study Irish more.

The thing is, I don't know where to start or how to, I can barely even translate sentences in comprehensions! the only thing that gets me by is finding some words in the question and finding them in the text and copying and pasting...

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my Irish? would greatly appreciate any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Imerse yourself in TG4, particularly news and shows with subtitles, helps pick up everyday terms and increase your vocabularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Alright, I'll try that!

thank you for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Download Duolingo and practice Irish for 10 minutes each day.

At least if you're pronounciation is good you should be okay for the Oral next year which is 40%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I agree re: TG4

10 minutes a day with the "useful vocabulary and grammar" thread linked at the top of the forum might be an idea. ;)

If you only come away with 2 new words / phrases every day, it's a hell of a lot by the time LC rolls around!

Advertisement