Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses in IT

Options
  • 23-05-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey,

I'm looking into doing courses in computers, IT etc. and have no idea where to start. I do have a lot of experience using computers, so I don't need any kind of basic course.

I'm mostly looking on fetchcourses (as I have to do what Seetec tell me), as I'm unemployed, I'm sure I could check out Springboard too, problem is, I don't even know what I'm looking for. And some of the courses seem to require other qualifications. I have zero (except the ECDL).

Any suggestions where I should start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

http://www.itcarlow.ie/courses/type/undergraduate-cao-courses/computing-networking-courses/bsc-science-hons-cybercrime-itsecurity-cw258.htm

Good course to look at, if your a mature student you would be called for an interview just so they can gauge if your suitable for the course etc.
    Also you should be entitled to back to education as well seeing as your unemployed also put in for the susi grant for fees etc.

Plenty of good IT courses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dylow

Burzum wrote: »
    http://www.itcarlow.ie/courses/type/undergraduate-cao-courses/computing-networking-courses/bsc-science-hons-cybercrime-itsecurity-cw258.htm

Good course to look at, if your a mature student you would be called for an interview just so they can gauge if your suitable for the course etc.
    Also you should be entitled to back to education as well seeing as your unemployed also put in for the susi grant for fees etc.

Plenty of good IT courses out there.

Cheers, that looks interesting. I'm looking at one at the moment called IT and Computer Maintenance, but it requires QQI Level 4. How or where would I get that?

(cool band by the way:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Can you link the course.
    Yeah great band :)

Can't seem to link the actual course page because of the way the search option is on the site.

But if you just enter "Computer IT" in keyword, "Dublin South" in location and "Sandymount" in sub-location it will come up as the second result, "IT and Computer Maintenance", ref no. 43355

https://www.fetchcourses.ie/course/finder

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi Dylow,
    sorry to revive an old thread, but was just curious if you had taken the plunge and started any course last year?
    If so, what course did you go for, and how did you get on?
    Are you still in the course, or a follow on one, or have you found a job as a result?
    I work in the IT area, but as you described above in terms of qualifications and defined skills on paper. I have a lot of very basic knowledge in multiple areas, but no real depth I suppose.
    I would love to have a better understanding of what I already think I know, and to develop new skills and understandings as well, while also getting it on paper that I have that knowledge and skillset (if that makes sense).

• Advertisement

Hi Davy

Yeah I did a course in Greenhills College, "Computer Systems and Networks Level 5", last September and finished in May. The modules were Programming (Java), Network Essentials, Operating Systems, Mobile Applications, Hardware, Maths, Communications and Work Experience. The course was decent enough, some of it basic, some of it quite tricky. I got very good results in my exams (a lot of the marks were gained throughout the year through practical exams), but I wouldn't have a chance of getting a job yet (nor would I feel able for one in IT because I still only know the basics).

I'll be going back in September for Level 6, which has things like the CompTIA cert and see where I am then. I think I can go to Tallaght IT after that if I choose, or I'll see how qualified I am for a job.

Do you mind me asking what area of IT you work in and what qualifications it took to get there? (ie. courses or certs).

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

Cheers.

Advertisement