Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to swim along the Shannon

Options
  • 23-05-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Hi boardsies

Will be doing a road trip this summer, exploring along the Shannon basin by campervan.
    Would love to hear if anyone knows what are good, safe places to swim?
    Anywhere from Athlone to Enniskillen and all points between.

I know that such places must exist: and I've heard rumours of good locations near Lanesborough, Carrick, and on Lough Allen.

What about Coosan? Knockroghery? Any other suggestions?

I'm reluctant to swim in a river without knowing the score locally, as it were.

Appealing to your accumulated wisdom, comrades. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

There is a pontoon swimming pool in Banagher. Downstream of the bridge.

Nice clean harbour in Kilgarvan (below Terryglass on Lough Derg) just watch out for the mussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Coosan has a permanent 750m course, marked by 3 orange buoys, out to right from end of the gravel beach. Swimming buddy recommended. Jet skis can be an issue on busy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Why, thank you both heartily: duly noted and added to my list!

Here's to happy splashing where the Shannon waters flow. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Just noticed you were looking above Athlone. Both of mine are well below but nice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

I know there are spots at tarmonbarry, longford, and Lanesboro, the respective tr clubs swim at, but I haven't been there yet.

There's an upcoming aquathlon series that takes all mentioned venues in:
    AiHztU.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement