Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIMHN conference

Options
  • 23-05-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I attended the IIMHN conference last week. The theme this year was collaboration and along with other speakers they also had a position paper on trauma informed practice. This was following on from last years conference theme of trauma informed care.
    In essence they recommend assuming trauma has occurred but not presuming. Some spoke that they had, in the past, unintentionally re-traumatised the service user upon admission. Speaking to many people this makes sense to me.
    I have also been struck how often listening has been brought up as a crucial skill by many, yet there is very little training around it specifically or where training is provided it's not given the weight it should be given imho.

Advertisement