Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog insurance

Options
  • 23-05-2017 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for dog insurance for my Am-Staff. i have got qoutes from allianz and <mod snipped company name as per their request as highlighted in this sticky... http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056955319/1/#post84749544, because this company threatened legal action on boards due to a couple of negative reviews from customers here, and funnily enough have since contacted me privately wondering why I keep drawing attention to this demand of theirs when a poster has the galling temerity to so much as mention their name here :)>

Just want to make sure i tried all options. Is there any others before i purchase the insurance?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Friend of mine uses RSA, they've been very good on paying out for a large claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm with Allianz and find them great. The second one you mentioned we're not allowed talk about here(!)

Just be careful - often the first quote from some is small compared to others then the next year it can jump up. You can't chop and change insurers later on like you can with say a car so you're kind of stuck with them or anything you claim after changing could be seen as a pre-existing condition. Our Allianz ones have only every gone up €10-20 a year even with huge claims on one and they offer direct claim where you pay the excess and the vet claims directly from them.

Also make sure you check the terms and conditions - my guys have to get an annual checkup to stay covered and I have the vets make a note when we go that its for their insurance. Last year the vet said that she'd nothing to say about Lucy because everything was perfect and only charged me €20 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

boomerang wrote: »
    Friend of mine uses RSA, they've been very good on paying out for a large claim.

they wont cover my fella. No am-staffs. its seems nearly all insurers dont want to cover them.:rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm with Allianz and find them great. The second one you mentioned we're not allowed talk about here(!)

Just be careful - often the first quote from some is small compared to others then the next year it can jump up. You can't chop and change insurers later on like you can with say a car so you're kind of stuck with them or anything you claim after changing could be seen as a pre-existing condition. Our Allianz ones have only every gone up €10-20 a year even with huge claims on one and they offer direct claim where you pay the excess and the vet claims directly from them.

Also make sure you check the terms and conditions - my guys have to get an annual checkup to stay covered and I have the vets make a note when we go that its for their insurance. Last year the vet said that she'd nothing to say about Lucy because everything was perfect and only charged me €20 :p

they dont have american staff as an option. im worried if i choose just staff, they will use it as an excuse not to pay if i ever have to claim. they are an insurance company after all.

the only company who have american staff as an option is the one you said we can't talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Also make sure you check the terms and conditions - my guys have to get an annual checkup to stay covered

AFAIK it's not a condition of the policy to have them up to date on vaccinations - simply that if not vaccinated, then they will not cover treatment for these specific viruses should your dog contract them.

I think Allianz are great.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    AFAIK it's not a condition of the policy to have them up to date on vaccinations - simply that if not vaccinated, then they will not cover treatment for these specific viruses should your dog contract them.

I think Allianz are great.

You still need the annual checkup with Allianz anyways but that's fine with me - €1300 paid by them last month(!) :eek:

Hey,

im going to go with allianz for €220 but they dont have american staffishire bull terrier in the breeds they have listed. will i just say he is a staffy as they may turn around and not pay out if something ever happens to him.

any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

grimeire wrote: »
    Hey,

im going to go with allianz for €220 but they dont have american staffishire bull terrier in the breeds they have listed. will i just say he is a staffy as they may turn around and not pay out if something ever happens to him.

any recommendations?

Best to ring them and let them know the breed - at least that way if they put your dog down as staffy you always have it on record or you find out they don't cover american staffishire bull terriers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Hey,

any recommendations?

Do you have papers to show he is an Amstaff? Or is that based on his appearance? I ask because if you don't have papers for him, would that technically make him a crossbreed (according to the insurance company) if Amstaff's aren't recognized by them? Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :o Have never had to deal with this sort of thing!

Have you called the company themselves and asked or are you getting quotes online?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Do you have papers to show he is an Amstaff? Or is that based on his appearance? I ask because if you don't have papers for him, would that technically make him a crossbreed (according to the insurance company) if Amstaff's aren't recognized by them? Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :o Have never had to deal with this sort of thing!

Have you called the company themselves and asked or are you getting quotes online?

i dont have papers for him as the breeder wants another 1k for the papers. i paid enough for him as is.

no getting qoutes online. no phone coverage at my work place so cant ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

i dont have papers for him as the breeder wants another 1k for the papers. i paid enough for him as is.

no getting qoutes online. no phone coverage at my work place so cant ring them.

Another 1k for papers??? It costs roughly 25 euro to register them with the IKC. Where is he getting that figure from? :confused:

andreac wrote: »
    Another 1k for papers??? It costs roughly 25 euro to register them with the IKC. Where is he getting that figure from? :confused:

since he was the pick of the litter he wants another 1k from me for the papers, oh an a percentage of each pup if he is ever breed. so nothing to do with the price of registration just him wanting more money.

---off topic but---
    can i get the papers without him? dont i need him to get them?

since he was the pick of the litter he wants another 1k from me for the papers, oh an a percentage of each pup if he is ever breed. so nothing to do with the price of registration just him wanting more money.

---off topic but---

I'd be fairly sure he has no papers....

I'd be fairly sure he has no papers....

he does have papers. the breeder just wants control over the dogs breeding and wont give them to me.

---off topic but---

Only the breeder can register the pups, so no, you won't be able to get them.

Sounds like a cowboy breeder if you ask me.

He can always put an endorsement on the pup to stop you registering any pups, so there would be no need for the carry on he's going on with. Awful what some breeders get away with to be honest :mad:

Is the dog's chip in your name at least OP?

andreac wrote: »
    Only the breeder can register the pups, so no, you won't be able to get them.

Sounds like a cowboy breeder if you ask me.

He can always put an endorsement on the pup to stop you registering any pups, so there would be no need for the carry on he's going on with. Awful what some breeders get away with to be honest :mad:

"endorsement" i guess thats how he planned to enforce me to pay a percentage on every pup. i always wonder about that. i assumed he could find out from the ikc.
    Is the dog's chip in your name at least OP?

no, the breeder. does that even matter?

"endorsement" i guess thats how he planned to enforce me to pay a percentage on every pup. i always wonder about that. i assumed he could find out from the ikc.

no, the breeder. does that even matter?

Yes by law it needs to be in your name. Drop into your local vet and they'll be able to scan it and give you the number (if the chip exists!) and you can change it into your name.

Any breeders I know keep the pick of the litter - that's the whole point in them breeding. He sounds like a chancer

Yes by law it needs to be in your name. Drop into your local vet and they'll be able to scan it and give you the number (if the chip exists!) and you can change it into your name.

no he has one. i just assumed the vets was looking to make money off me when he suggested the same thing.

will the breeder be notified that the chip in the dog is registered to me when i get it changed to me

Grimeire, this whole situation sounds very dodgy. Where did you source this breeder? What he is doing is very wrong.

Yes, by law the chip has to be registered to the owner, you.

No, what an endorsement means is that a restriction is put on the pup, so it can't be bred from, or pups from that dog/bitch can't be registered, unless the breeder lifts the endorsement. Most breeders put endorsements on their pups and will lift them once the relevant health tests are carried out on the dog. It's nothing to do with money.

• Advertisement

If the chip isn't in your name, and god forbid the dog gets lost, how will they know how to find you?? That is why you must register your details and as many contact numbers with the chip, in case that situation does arise.

So many dogs are found and still chipped to the breeder and the breeder is nowhere to be found, hence then the owner is never located.

Do you know if there is a list of vets that do direct claims somewhere. As all the vets i have used for my fella required me to pay for everything and then for me to claim it back which wouldn't be too bad but some of these vets are useless dont send the claim forms off. I was waiting nearly 10 months for Sunbeam in cork to send claims off and had to ring them on a regular basis to get them to do it. It was torture.

Advertisement