Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance premium hike!

Options
  • 22-05-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me...

Basically a year ago I ever slightly tipped my car into the back of another car at traffic lights. Zero damage to either car!
    A mother and 4 daughters got out of the car, not one of them in any bit of pain... Then after a fee mins the mother directed the 3 daughters to say they had whiplash, and proceeded to call the guards and ambulance. The female gard who arrived was very pleasant, and said to me off the record they are chancing their arm, but v little she can do if they wish to proceed with a claim... Which they did. I even called them the next day to see if they were ok, but the daughter said she was at work so couldn't talk, not sure how badly she was hurt!
    Long story short, they are close to being paid 80k by the insurance company for whiplash, and my insurance premium h's just arrived.... 3,500 eur for the year, because the claim is still 'open', so apparently I cannot get insured by anyone else?

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can challenge this? Insurance company tell me it's an open case, but I am being penalised for it still dragging on for over a year.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Bob_dole wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope someone can help me...

Basically a year ago I ever slightly tipped my car into the back of another car at traffic lights. Zero damage to either car!
    A mother and 4 daughters got out of the car, not one of them in any bit of pain... Then after a fee mins the mother directed the 3 daughters to say they had whiplash, and proceeded to call the guards and ambulance. The female gard who arrived was very pleasant, and said to me off the record they are chancing their arm, but v little she can do if they wish to proceed with a claim... Which they did. I even called them the next day to see if they were ok, but the daughter said she was at work so couldn't talk, not sure how badly she was hurt!
    Long story short, they are close to being paid 80k by the insurance company for whiplash, and my insurance premium h's just arrived.... 3,500 eur for the year, because the claim is still 'open', so apparently I cannot get insured by anyone else?

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can challenge this? Insurance company tell me it's an open case, but I am being penalised for it still dragging on for over a year.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the insurance market in 2017 Ireland.

Not a thing you can do unfortunately.

You tipped the back of someone else's car so you are in the wrong.

They are claiming whiplash/soft tissue injury which is essentially impossible to defend against.

All your insurer can do is try and get it settled as cheaply as possible.

The fact it's open would lead me to believe that they (the occupants) are looking to get a court hearing to extract as much money as they can.

In short your options are pay €3500 or don't drive.

Horrible situation to find yourself in but you are one of many that are experiencing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's no longer disgraceful in Ireland to lie outright to line your pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

biko wrote: »
    It's no longer disgraceful in Ireland to lie outright to line your pockets.

By the claimants and those willing to back them up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've had 3 minor incidents where people have hit/tipped me over the past 4 years. I should have claimed!!

Seriously, on the one instance where there was actual damage to a bumper I didn't claim because I'd already booked in for a respraydue to paint damage (from drips in an underground car park). I think I'm a saint!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Ive had similar happen. Had someone change lane in front of me, taking the space I had between me and the car in front and immediately jam on the brakes. Low speed incident but driver plus occupants claimed whiplash (they did not have whiplash). Her word against mine. They got paid, nothing I could do. ( Camera in the dash now to fight against fraudulent claims)

Ive been hit twice from behind. Once by a guy more interested in his phone. No damage either time (at least I couldn't see any on the banger I was driving) but I remember one of them actually jarring my neck. The pain was gone in two days. Didn't claim.

My wife got side swiped by a guy coming out of a junction. A hard hit that wrote the car off. Had some pain but gone in a few days. No claim.

The all these happened AFTER I got screwed, and the time my wife got hit, the insurance company were amazed that we were not claiming.

I would be embarrassed to make a false claim........and I say as much to people who brag about it openly. And people do brag about it.

(Incidentally the girl I hit is from my town.....I see her regularly.....I always give her a big hello.....so she spends the rest of her life being mortified every time we cross paths)

• Advertisement
Advertisement