Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget PC with long "shelf life"

Options
  • 22-05-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace my recently defunct DELL XPS 420 with a cheap, 2nd hand PC that I can upgrade and hopefully run for a further 2-3yrs (or more). The 2 models/configurations I most commonly find on Adverts/eBay:

1. Dell Vostro 460 mid-tower: Intel i5 2nd Gen; 4GB DDR3 RAM (max 16GB); integrated graphics but can run a fairly basic GPU (powered by the PCI slot); 2 HDD bays for my SSD and HDDs

2. HP Elite 8200 mid-tower: Intel i7 2nd Gen; 8GB DDR3 RAM (max 32GB); integrated graphics but can run a fairly basic GPU (powered by the PCI slot); 2 HDD bays for my SSD and HDDs

As mentioned I'd like to use some of old Dell's components like SSD, Radeon HD 5450 1GB PCIe and USB 3.0 PCI Express card

Primary usage would be:
    1. Plex Server for streaming in-home (my media is saved on a Synology DS212)… so PC always on, needs to silent and efficient
    2. Basic MS Office stuff plus connecting remotely into my work PC
    3. Occasional video editing (GoPro/drone 2.7K quality; usually 20-30min footage to get 2-3min clips; trimming, color grading, transitions and soundtrack)

Both cost around between €200-300 on eBay or Adverts. Which one is best in terms of upgradability and would last me the longest for the uses mentioned above? Many thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'm looking to replace my recently defunct DELL XPS 420 with a cheap, 2nd hand PC that I can upgrade and hopefully run for a further 2-3yrs (or more). The 2 models/configurations I most commonly find on Adverts/eBay:

1. Dell Vostro 460 mid-tower: Intel i5 2nd Gen; 4GB DDR3 RAM (max 16GB); integrated graphics but can run a fairly basic GPU (powered by the PCI slot); 2 HDD bays for my SSD and HDDs

2. HP Elite 8200 mid-tower: Intel i7 2nd Gen; 8GB DDR3 RAM (max 32GB); integrated graphics but can run a fairly basic GPU (powered by the PCI slot); 2 HDD bays for my SSD and HDDs

As mentioned I'd like to use some of old Dell's components like SSD, Radeon HD 5450 1GB PCIe and USB 3.0 PCI Express card

Primary usage would be:
    1. Plex Server for streaming in-home (my media is saved on a Synology DS212)… so PC always on, needs to silent and efficient
    2. Basic MS Office stuff plus connecting remotely into my work PC
    3. Occasional video editing (GoPro/drone 2.7K quality; usually 20-30min footage to get 2-3min clips; trimming, color grading, transitions and soundtrack)

Both cost around between €200-300 on eBay or Adverts. Which one is best in terms of upgradability and would last me the longest for the uses mentioned above? Many thanks in advance for any advice

What would you looking to be able to upgrade outside of ram? The HP i likely has a processor towards the high end of the 1155 socket, probably a 2600 or 2700. The only thing above that you could put into the same machine is a 3770, and that would only be a marginal upgrade. In addition DDR3 prices are going up, so replacing the ram (there may only be two slots on the motherboard) could be expensive on its own.

That said, they are still decent machines as they are, unless the ram is limiting you, but there is no real future upgrade path for the processors. If the motherboard has 4 slots for ram, you may be able to buy additional ram to bump to 16GB. It should be a big upgrade, especially for video editing coming from what i presume is a core 2 quad in the xps.

You will be able to transfer all the parts you mentioned, and should make a big difference, especially for video editing coming form what i presume is a core 2 quad in the xps.

Might be worth looking so PCs with an "s" processor, such as the 3770s, they are a little slower, but have a lower power draw, if you are running it 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

occasional video editing: go for an i7 and good GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pentium G4560 on B250 board, DDR4-2400 RAM, cheap case/PSU would run you barely €250.

Ryzen 1400, decent B350 board, DDR4-2400 RAM, cheap case/PSUwould go a little over €350.

Both options would have more longevity/upgrade paths (Ryzen especially, since the AM4 socket is scheduled to last 4 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Lu Tze wrote: »
    What would you looking to be able to upgrade outside of ram? The HP i likely has a processor towards the high end of the 1155 socket, probably a 2600 or 2700. The only thing above that you could put into the same machine is a 3770, and that would only be a marginal upgrade. In addition DDR3 prices are going up, so replacing the ram (there may only be two slots on the motherboard) could be expensive on its own.

That said, they are still decent machines as they are, unless the ram is limiting you, but there is no real future upgrade path for the processors. If the motherboard has 4 slots for ram, you may be able to buy additional ram to bump to 16GB. It should be a big upgrade, especially for video editing coming from what i presume is a core 2 quad in the xps.

You will be able to transfer all the parts you mentioned, and should make a big difference, especially for video editing coming form what i presume is a core 2 quad in the xps.

Might be worth looking so PCs with an "s" processor, such as the 3770s, they are a little slower, but have a lower power draw, if you are running it 24/7.

Honestly I no, i wouldn't want to upgrade much beyond the RAM. Possibly the GPU (and possibly PSU if needed) down the line. The Q6600 processor in the XPS420 that just died was enough processing power for my basic needs. Sure I would like a quieter and more energy efficient socket but performance wasnt an issue.
    I take your point on RAM, I checked and having to buy 4 x 4GB DD3 would set me back around €100 so not a cheap upgrade.
    Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If you dont mind not having an upgrade path, there are still some decent deals on adverts, although typically in Small form factor cases.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-optiplex-9010/12615798

This looks like it would go for a €250, its got the top end non-overclockable i7 for the socket, already has 16GB of RAM. It also comes with a monitor which you could sell on and reduce the outlay to €200 or so. The only drawback is the small case wont let a gaming GPU in there (if thats what you had planned), and its likely a non-standard PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair if you've been using a Q6600 until now, you'll be blown away by either machine - both still good processors in 2017 but the i7 in particular is still at the higher end of performance. Install an SSD and you're set!

Not sure about the Dell but the 8200 should have 4 ram banks so upgrading ram should be fairly cheap. Just buy a few sticks on Adverts, don't bother buying new as prices are ridiculous at the moment.

Advertisement