Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on a PB plateau

Options
  • 22-05-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi.

Seems I'm stuck on my 5k PB and I can't get past it.

My best 5k time is 26:00
    My best 10 time is 59:00

Even when I think I'm doing great I never seem to beat it.

Any advice?

Or should I be even trying to run faster?

Using Strava app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hi.

Seems I'm stuck on my 5k PB and I can't get past it.

My best 5k time is 26:00
    My best 10 time is 59:00

Even when I think I'm doing great I never seem to beat it.

Any advice?

Or should I be even trying to run faster?

Using Strava app.

What is your training like? How often do you run and how long are the runs?

The best way to bring down your times would be to run longer and slower. Slightly counter-intuitive, running slower makes you faster. A lot of more experienced and faster runners than me will explain why but the additional "time on your feet" is what will help you bring down your times.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

To be honest I don't train like I'm training for something.

I just run because I like to and it's therapeutic for me.

But now I want to get a bit more serious about it and do a half or full marathon.

Example from Last week.

Monday : 5k 28:00

Wed: 5k 29:00

Fri: 10k 59:00

Today: 6.4k 37:00 (19 Celius)

Furthest I've ever ran was 12.5k in 1:15:00

But that wouldn't be consistent, Ive had off weeks when I wouldn't go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

What are your goals?

Best way to improve is to follow a plan. Structured training with a purpose to every run. Something simple that suits your life.

Some along the lines of 3 shorts run - 1 to include some intervals (start simple 1 min hard, 1 min easy and repeat 4 or 6 times), 1 tempo (10mins to warm-up, 10mins @ 5km pace + 20 seconds, 10mins cool down) and 1 easy run (or cross train on this evening). And a LSR run at the weekend, longer & slower than the mid-week runs - run this at a pace you can chat at and increase the distance gradually.

Or look up some 5/10k plans on the internet. Hal Higdon has some good ones that are easy to follow.

Now i need to take my own advice :o

Training at near PB pace wouldn't be ideal, slow down and take it easy. Those 5k runs being closer to 32-35 minutes and slow down as well on the 10k runs, 3-4 times a week would be ideal.

If you are really serious there are a million different plans out there and you will get some great advise in here.

HigginsJ wrote:
    Training at near PB pace wouldn't be ideal, slow down and take it easy. Those 5k runs being closer to 32-35 minutes and slow down as well on the 10k runs, 3-4 times a week would be ideal.

In your opinion, what's more important to you?

Speed or Distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

This is a great reason to run :)
    But now I want to get a bit more serious about it and do a half or full marathon.

Pinpoint an event and get yourself a half marathon training plan. Pick one you think you can stick to, be realistic with the time you can give to it. Maybe even allow yourself 1-2 extra weeks so you can repeat weeks if you need to, so start a 12 week plan 14 weeks before your planned event. Starting a log might help you as well, keep you accountable and all that.

If you can run 10-12 km than a half marathon is very achievable, good luck :)

ariana` wrote:
    If you can run 10-12 km than a half marathon is very achievable, good luck

Thanks for your help and advice, as soon as I get into work I'll start googling them plans haha

In your opinion, what's more important to you?

Speed or Distance?

Speed is pretty irrelevant, you need endurance as that is what all of these races really are. Alot of much better runners than me say time on your feet is where you will improve & I 100% agree, especially as you are building towards hopefully HM's and the Marathon.

I think we all want to get "faster" but actual speed work is not really important until you are probably a bit near the sharper end of things. Doing a 26 minute 5k means speed is not a huge issue.

HigginsJ wrote:
    Speed is pretty irrelevant, you need endurance as that is what all of these races really are. Alot of much better runners than me say time on your feet is where you will improve & I 100% agree, especially as you are building towards hopefully HM's and the Marathon.

That makes me feel better.

I need to book something, because if I don't I wont work towards anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

You're not doing any intervals or tempo workouts. Set a goal, follow a proper plan, or better join your local athletics club.

• Advertisement

You're not doing any intervals or tempo workouts. Set a goal, follow a proper plan, or better join your local athletics club.

No, I have never done any Interval training.

I'd like to do some, Without sounding lazy but rather curious.

Is interval training essential to running?

Question with regards to your Username.

I've read a bit about running after coffee, what's your views on It?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not the one you asked, but my only issue with running after coffee is the liquid sloshing around in my stomach. I'd usually give it at least an hour between consumption and running.

seamus wrote:
    I'm not the one you asked, but my only issue with running after coffee is the liquid sloshing around in my stomach. I'd usually give it at least an hour between consumption and running.

But will there still be enough caffeine in your system to improve performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

No, I have never done any Interval training.

I'd like to do some, Without sounding lazy but rather curious.

Is interval training essential to running?
    Definitely if you are interested in PBing. Re the user name... no issues around 10 a day but no liquids of any kind 1 or 2 hours before running for me, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

OP; was last week's 20km typical mileage? The most obvious answer to improving your PB is to gradually increase your mileage. Without getting into interval training and all that, more weekly miles and weight loss (if applicable) are in my mind the two simplest ways of going faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But will there still be enough caffeine in your system to improve performance?
    I drink a lot of coffee, I don't think there is ever a time when my system is devoid of coffee.

Seriously though I've never noticed any difference in coffee -v- no coffee. The big differentiator for me is water. If I haven't had enough water in the previous 24/48 hours then I'll feel it on a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

To be honest I don't train like I'm training for something.

Example from Last week.

Monday : 5k 28:00

Wed: 5k 29:00

Fri: 10k 59:00

Today: 6.4k 37:00 (19 Celius)

Furthest I've ever ran was 12.5k in 1:15:00

But that wouldn't be consistent, Ive had off weeks when I wouldn't go at all.

As others have said:

1. Slow down on your training runs. Even slower than that again. Think 5k pace+2.30 min/mile. You should be able to hold a conversation when running. Save the racing for races.
    2. Gradually increase your weekly mileage - 10% a week is the usual rule of thumb.
    3. Become consistent. No weeks off. Build a decent aerobic base. You might want to think about running 5 days a week towards the end of the base building phase so you don't have to run too far every day.
    4. Interval and tempo/threshold training can come after you've built a decent base, but you should see a decent improvement on those times on base building alone.
    5. If you do feel the need to run a bit faster, then have a good go off a park run every 4 weeks or so to see how your getting on.

Advertisement