Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for an actuary job in future

Options
  • 22-05-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys

I am just looking for some advice here as I am a bit unsure on what to do.

I previously done an accounting and finance course in dcu but then wanted to try do actuarial mathematics but had to do a year in statistics to get into the grad dip / masters for ucd and ucc of which i have two offers at the moment.

The thing I am unsure over is that once I finish the course trying to apply for a job as a lot of the people will already have experience in the actuarial field whereas I haven't had an internship and couldn't attain one this year as I haven't done a mathematical field.

So, in terms of looking for a job what can I do ? It's just in the next year I will have the course and the brochure for both courses says recruiters will be there to help obtain jobs but I know I won't be ahead of the rest due to no internships.

Any advice or am I overworrying too much here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Xero95 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I previously done an accounting and finance course in dcu but then wanted to try do actuarial mathematics but had to do a year in statistics to get into the grad dip / masters for ucd and ucc of which i have two offers at the moment.

The thing I am unsure over is that once I finish the course trying to apply for a job as a lot of the people will already have experience in the actuarial field whereas I haven't had an internship and couldn't attain one this year as I haven't done a mathematical field.

So, in terms of looking for a job what can I do ? It's just in the next year I will have the course and the brochure for both courses says recruiters will be there to help obtain jobs but I know I won't be ahead of the rest due to no internships.

I think it's good to plan ahead.
    Could you organise a week or two of work experience with an actuary? It will look good on your cv and give you plenty of chance to ask questions and get ahead of the game (without doing a formal internship).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

How strong are you at maths? To become an actuary you need to pass lot's of exams.

Actuarial degrees are basically full on maths degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Xero95 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Not having experience in the actuarial field isn't a huge disadvantage, if you have experience in another field (finance or maths related) employers will look on that well. The UCD course offers an internship as part of the programme I believe. You will get a job within a few months of finishing the masters regardless, actuaries are in high demand.

If you have no experience whatsoever try and do a month in an office somewhere in anyway financial or maths related this Summer or else do a volunteering initiative/tutor maths. These are good CV boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Xero95

Hi guys so ill just try reply all at once since the response will be relatively the same.
    So the idea was to try get one next summer as I couldn't get one this year but I am trying to get a week if even somewhere just to put on my cv. And MySandwich I am very good at maths haha :) I wouldn't be touching this course if i wasnt and I currently do maths grinds domrush but as you said I would get a job regardless it's just I will be looked upon less favourable without any real experience in a actuarial office.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

It's good to be aware how maths intensive these courses can be, and grinds are a great idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement