Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isuzu Dmax - 2005

Options
  • 22-05-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All, am thinking about getting a Dmax Crew Cab, something around the 2005-2008 bracket, it will only be used for short runs around the farm and the odd school run (hence crew cab option) and also runs to the mart etc. (Currently driving a car and dont want it to get destroyed etc with dirt as its used for family purposes) from what I have researched on the pre-07's, the 3L would be the one to go for as it appears that the 2.5L are underpowered?? Any feedback on this based on actual experience.
    It appears that the Dmax also got an upgraded engine in 2007. Would a 2007/2008 2.5L compare similarly to a pre-2007 3L engine in terms of power due to the upgrade.

Any feedback at all on the DMax in the 2005 - 2008 bracket would be greatly appreciated. (I have reviewed other alternatives, hilux - nice to have but slightly out of my price range at this moment, Navara - wouldnt rule them out but unfortunately I dont think they can legally pull as much trailer weight as compared to the Dmax.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Had a 2010 one (basically the same as a 2007 facelift with a variable vane turbo instead)

the 2.5 old and new shape is very underpowered, it only saves about 0.4mpg real world and for all that saving you get a seriously asthmatic pickup.

go for the 3.0 , parts are also cheaper for that as more of them were made. try get a facelift one if you can as they seriously improved a lot of things on them in terms of interior quality and handling.

I put 100k miles on one and have to say it never let me down. look around for a cobra / stallion spec as they have leather , body coloured bumpers, front fogs, better sound system and a few other changes, but command very little extra money in the second hand market.

Biggest thing to check is the tub if its rusted through near the drains where it meets the body, aside from that its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have one since 2011. 06 model. Not the nicest interior as said above but a seriously reliable workhorse. Get a set of shackle bushes in the rear springs every year for the cvrt. These are cheap though at about €50 a set. Mine is LS spec and 3.0 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Grueller wrote: »
    Have one since 2011. 06 model. Not the nicest interior as said above but a seriously reliable workhorse. Get a set of shackle bushes in the rear springs every year for the cvrt. These are cheap though at about €50 a set. Mine is LS spec and 3.0 litre.
    Thanks, Great to hear regarding the reliability. The interior doesnt bother me tbh, as long as they are good and reliable and a good workhorse with a trailer behind, that all that matters. Is there anything or anywhere on them that you would recommend I check when viewing them? Am hoping to view a 05 one this evening.......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have the earlier TFS version (2003) from new, and it's been a very good reliable workhorse, though not done much off road with it. The 2.5 turbo engine is as stated not going to set the world on fire performance wise, but it still gives me the right side of 35 Miles to the gallon, and will give 120Kph on the motorways, and there's a lot to be said for an engine that has no timing belts to be changed on a regular basis.

Rear spring shackle bushes are a regular swap, though they can be got from Milners in the UK for a fraction of the price mentioned above, and theirs last a lot longer than the originals. There can be rust issue with the inner wings of the rear tub, but there's not a lot of work involved in getting the rear tub off to do work on it in comfort and "the right way up", rather than having to weld on a ramp and under the vehicle. It's had the normal consumables, but not many of them over the years.

One thing that caught me out a long time ago, the fuel filter. The quickest way to replace it is to remove the entire housing from the vehicle and change the filter outside the engine bay, but the gotcha after time is that the hoses get harder with age, and the squeeze clips that Isuzu use are no longer strong enough to get a good grip on the pipes. There is no fuel pump in the tank, so the result can be that the pump draws air into the fuel lines at the filter, enough to upset the fuel system, but not enough to stop the engine from starting and idling. It took a while to find that problem, the solution is easy, put screw fastening hose clips on to replace the squeeze clips, and I have to admit that to make life a lot easier, I put a non return valve and squeeze body primer in to the fuel line by the filter to speed up the priming process after a filter change, getting the air out using the primer pump on the filter body takes a long time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Have the earlier TFS version (2003) from new, and it's been a very good reliable workhorse, though not done much off road with it. The 2.5 turbo engine is as stated not going to set the world on fire performance wise, but it still gives me the right side of 35 Miles to the gallon, and will give 120Kph on the motorways, and there's a lot to be said for an engine that has no timing belts to be changed on a regular basis.

Rear spring shackle bushes are a regular swap, though they can be got from Milners in the UK for a fraction of the price mentioned above, and theirs last a lot longer than the originals. There can be rust issue with the inner wings of the rear tub, but there's not a lot of work involved in getting the rear tub off to do work on it in comfort and "the right way up", rather than having to weld on a ramp and under the vehicle. It's had the normal consumables, but not many of them over the years.

One thing that caught me out a long time ago, the fuel filter. The quickest way to replace it is to remove the entire housing from the vehicle and change the filter outside the engine bay, but the gotcha after time is that the hoses get harder with age, and the squeeze clips that Isuzu use are no longer strong enough to get a good grip on the pipes. There is no fuel pump in the tank, so the result can be that the pump draws air into the fuel lines at the filter, enough to upset the fuel system, but not enough to stop the engine from starting and idling. It took a while to find that problem, the solution is easy, put screw fastening hose clips on to replace the squeeze clips, and I have to admit that to make life a lot easier, I put a non return valve and squeeze body primer in to the fuel line by the filter to speed up the priming process after a filter change, getting the air out using the primer pump on the filter body takes a long time.

The fuel filter set up is different in the dmax. It is under the body under the passenger side cill iykwim.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Great to hear regarding the reliability. The interior doesnt bother me tbh, as long as they are good and reliable and a good workhorse with a trailer behind, that all that matters. Is there anything or anywhere on them that you would recommend I check when viewing them? Am hoping to view a 05 one this evening.......

Sorry I am only getting back to you now. No great issues to look out for as far as I am aware.
    Did you view? How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Grueller wrote: »

Sorry I am only getting back to you now. No great issues to look out for as far as I am aware.
    Did you view? How did you get on?
    So viewed and drove a Dmax yesterday evening. Good clean fresh jeep on the outside in fairness. Interior was a bit on the tatty side though which surprised me as I was expecting a bit better considering the outside been in such good condition, seat fabrics appeared stretched etc, some of the air vent vanes / flaps missing, seat adjustment seemed a bit dodgy to. Driving wise, good and steady on the road, 4WD seemed to be working fine, however brakes were extremely spongy - I tried pumping them and the pedal remained spongy - like putting my foot on a sponge. Also no issue with it getting to 60mph+ etc but then when floating around 60mph, every now and again I could feel a sharp thud / vibration, I tried to see what could be the cause when driving but it appeared to be completely at random, not sure if this is a known issue with them or not, aside from that I cudnt see anything else wrong......Might need to go back to the drawing board and wait longer to see if another Dmax comes up or even maybe an L200...

Advertisement