Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenside Carrickmines New Development?

Options
  • 21-05-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello! We are new to Dublin having just recently moved here from US. We are currently renting in Castleknock but are looking to buy. We came across Glenside development in Carrickmines (3, 4 and 5 bedroom houses) and thought it was reasonable value comparing to other houses in the area. But we are not sure about the area- is it considered a good safe area? Will we have access to good schools? Any thoughts on the neighbourhood? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hello! We are new to Dublin having just recently moved here from US. We are currently renting in Castleknock but are looking to buy. We came across Glenside development in Carrickmines (3, 4 and 5 bedroom houses) and thought it was reasonable value comparing to other houses in the area. But we are not sure about the area- is it considered a good safe area? Will we have access to good schools? Any thoughts on the neighbourhood? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Yes a very safe and quiet area. Its right on the doorstep of the countryside.

Its not for everyone, you more or less have to drive most places, but the luas is about a 15 minute walk, but it's quicker to drive to leopardstown stop (located in Sandyford Ind estate) and get the luas from there if going into town. It won't suit getting to Blackrock, etc if you need to get there at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Expatsindublin

Thank you so much!! That's very helpful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Stail Asail

Hi, has anyone purchased here or viewed and decided against it? Anything favourable or otherwise to report? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 malbekh

Hi, I can give some details here.

First, we are buying a house there, it was a family decision where I lost the argument between the new build there and a fixer-upper in Shankill. I won't go into details but the houses are well proportioned (for town houses) and unless we have another crash will retain their value owing to the supply chain issues. They are short on adequate living space though in my opinion, we would like to add a sunroom at some stage, but funds are a big issue no surprises.

In terms of the area we know it well, as we've lived in the Gallops/Levmoss both as renters and owners for a long time. People looking to buy in this area are probably holding out for the Clay Farm development down the road as there is a lot of choice there. I think the houses there are probably better value (size wise) but I do not like the way they are all shoehorned in a la Levmoss. Park Developments make good houses though.

Glenside has reasonable transport link, Luas as has been mentioned with the cross-city option in place soon it makes it more beneficial. Nearest buses are the 63 (5 minute walk) to Dun Laoghaire via Cabinteely. 47 bus (you'll need to drive to a bus stop or Luas it) to get into town through Stillorgan/Dual Carriageway.

The big issue is that you'll need a car. There are no shops nearby bar the Carrickmines Shopping Centre and there's no grocery store there. So milk/bread/papers will need a drive and that's a lot more inconvenient than you might think. However, Q3 plan in Carrickmines is currently in planning (I tried to pos a link but banned as being a new user) although don't expect it to arrive before 2020. This will be a major game-changer to the area bringing with it a multiple (I would say Tesco) along with more shops/restaurants etc to add in nighttime value to the shopping centre.

The shopping centre is well-liked owing to ease of access and ample car parking. So this development more than anything else gives me the security behind investing in a house in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

davindub wrote: »
    Yes a very safe and quiet area. Its right on the doorstep of the countryside.

Its not for everyone, you more or less have to drive most places, but the luas is about a 15 minute walk, but it's quicker to drive to leopardstown stop (located in Sandyford Ind estate) and get the luas from there if going into town. It won't suit getting to Blackrock, etc if you need to get there at rush hour.

I don't know which stop you mean but the Leopardstown Valley stop is a long way Fromm sandyford IE. Sabdyford and Stillorgan stood are within Sandyford IE and Central Park is just across the road from it. A long way from Carrickmines.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    I don't know which stop you mean but the Leopardstown Valley stop is a long way Fromm sandyford IE. Sabdyford and Stillorgan stood are within Sandyford IE and Central Park is just across the road from it. A long way from Carrickmines.

5/6 minutes drive along the M50 from Carrickmines or more depending on traffic. I find it much quicker to drive to the leopardstown stop across from Aldi and go from there.

Not least because there are a lot more luas's running from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

5/6 minutes drive along the M50 from Carrickmines or more depending on traffic. I find it much quicker to drive to the leopardstown stop across from Aldi and go from there.

That's the Stillorgan stop FFS.

Marcusm wrote: »

That's the Stillorgan stop FFS.

Yes you are rIght. What do you mean ffs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

davindub wrote:
    Yes you are rIght. What do you mean ffs ?

It stands for "for factualities sake". It's another way of saying "to be precise".

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Expatsindublin

Really good feedback. We are buying here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pm073131

Hi - Can anyone share some info on good primary schools nearby? We're thinking of moving into the area and will be looking to send our son to a primary school somewhere close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pm073131

Folks - Is there anyone living in the Carrickmines Green estate here ? I needed some info about that. I'm looking to buy a house there and the contract which has come from the builder talks about some on-going repair work for fire & safety issues. I'm looking to understand who would be bearing the cost of this work? Will it be the house & apartment owners there or if the builder/receiver will bear this.

Also - does this have any impact on the house insurance that one needs to take?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pm073131 wrote: »
    Folks - Is there anyone living in the Carrickmines Green estate here ? I needed some info about that. I'm looking to buy a house there and the contract which has come from the builder talks about some on-going repair work for fire & safety issues. I'm looking to understand who would be bearing the cost of this work? Will it be the house & apartment owners there or if the builder/receiver will bear this.

Also - does this have any impact on the house insurance that one needs to take?

Thanks

The second link for "Carrickmines Green"

The receivers are liable and I bet they regret selling apartments to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

Hi

We bought one of the houses last February 2017 and finally moved in August 2017. Yes there are issues with the apartment block, we obtained a copy of the Scott Murphy report, which the Receiver's solicitor was happy about. The houses are prefect, well insulated and sound proofed A rated, as a previous poster suggested living space is limited to kitchen/dinner and reception room for a four bedroom house the kitchen dinner should also have a family area. But the bedrooms are a decent size. Some minor finishing issues but the builder has been very approachable and corrects them quickly. I would think you would get this in any development.

The problems are in the older apartment blocks (Fire and building Regulation issues) and underground car park (Water and drainage issues). It is my understanding that none of these individually would cost a much to fix but it is the sheer volume (250 pages in the report) that will cost a lot. The current builder has confirmed to me that they have not been engaged to do any work for the existing units.

Every house owner is being allocated an underground car parking space and to access you need to drive under these older apartments and hence if there needs to be money spent we will all be liable for the car park costs. However only apartment owners will be liable to fix the internal issues in their apartment blocks.

Not an expert in any way but that was our understanding when we bought. We are very happy with our house and all the neighbours are all lovely. The area is very quite and looking forward to the estate being completed soon.

PM me if any one wants more information.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi, has anyone purchased here or viewed and decided against it? Anything favourable or otherwise to report? Thanks...

We looked at the three beds but lost interest when we saw that one of the three bedrooms was actually in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

Hi

Are you talking about these apartments? http://www.glenside.ie/hawthorn/

I'm asking because I had a viewing today and I'm interested to know if there is any problems with them

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bman90

Hi mohm.kamal. I was really interested in these properties until I read about the flooding in the carparks and potential fire hazards. There seems to be a lot of issues with the management companies that dont seem to be getting resolved any time soon...from what I've read they keep making false promises and extending deadlines and timeframes. They seem to be cursed! I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AlisonCampbell

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing apartments in the Hawthorn building in Glenside?

As it's a new built building, are their issues with the fire hazard regulations?

Many thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing apartments in the Hawthorn building in Glenside?

As it's a new built building, are their issues with the fire hazard regulations?

Many thanks for your help

Hi

I understand there are no issues with Hawthorn House apartments. They are brand new and good sizes really nice. Lovely development and lovely people living here.

However there are issues with the older apartment units plus underground car parks and if you do decide to buy in Carrickmines Green you MIGHT be responsible of the costs to repair the common areas.l in the older part of the development and underground carpark. There is a legal case on going and there is hope that the receiver will fund the majority of the repairs work.

There has been no real discussion about what happens if the OMC don’t win the case but a very general comment from the OMC was that it would be unlikely that the house owners/Hawthorn house would have to fund the apartment repairs but would have some element of costs in relation to the underground carpark and communal common areas outside the apartments.

There are no estimates for the repairs but Most likely a few million euros. We took the chance and very happy with the purchase living here for nearly 3 years even if there is a potential of a bill landing some day.

Very short summary of something that has been ongoing for years and years.

Good luck with your decision.

Advertisement