Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor upgrade

Options
  • 21-05-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭

Looking at upgrading my two current monitors for something with thinner bezels, any suggestions? Was looking at an Asus 23" model with really thin bezels which was nice.

Budget is up to €400 for the two, 23-24" minimum

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not go Ultrawide rather than two separate monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I use two screens in work and have had two screens for years so personal preference more than anything really.
    I like having separate screens for doing different things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You can split the ultrawide into two virtual screens, kinda handy.

Look at it this way, 400 will get you a decent UW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I doubt you would get an UW for €400, or at least not the 3440 x 1440 ones, probably get the 2560 x 1080 ones easily, but they aren't a good replacement for two 1080p monitors. The higher res ones, while they don't quite have the same horizontal resolution as two 1080p monitors, it has a large vertical resolution.

I use one, wouldn't go back to dual monitor, just as useful for two applications open side by side, but invaluable for when you need one larger window with no bezels breaking it up.

Any enough of the telling you your wrong and back to your actual query - maybe something like this?

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-s2415h/pd

6mm bezel width. On amazon for £160 sterling, a bit more expensive with Irish VAT applied

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2415H-23-8-inch-Monitor/dp/B00OMP887G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495470322&sr=8-1&keywords=s2415h

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Redfox25 wrote: »
    You can split the ultrawide into two virtual screens, kinda handy.

Look at it this way, 400 will get you a decent UW.

Sorry for off topic post OP, but just a quick question on this, I always avoided ultra wide because I like being able to have 2 full screen apps open. Can you elaborate a little more on how to set up virtual screens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

RedXIV wrote: »
    Sorry for off topic post OP, but just a quick question on this, I always avoided ultra wide because I like being able to have 2 full screen apps open. Can you elaborate a little more on how to set up virtual screens?

It depends on the UW monitor software. They let you split the UW monitor into two separate monitors without the bezels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I can get two 27" Asus monitors for about €350 from Amazon Warehouse in "very good" condition. Thin bezels the whole lot.

That's decent I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RedXIV wrote: »

I have ultrawide with 3440x1440 for over half a year and I will never go back to normal aspect ratio, ever. Its fantastic for gaming and as said, for general productivity. And I always had 2 or 3 monitor setups.

In windows 7, I used an extra little program, that would setup my screen in to areas on edges as shortcuts. If I drag window to the far left boarder and drop it, it will put that window left and fot it perfectly in to half screen. If I will drag it to top middle, it will put it right in the centre, but 1/3 size of the screen etc. In windows 10 it just works from default and it snaps windows like that.
    As for op. The 1080p version of ultrawide wont be good replacement for 2x1080p setup unfortunately. Just too low resolution.

Advertisement