Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly Diabetes

Options
  • 21-05-2017 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for advise. My mother has diabetes type2. Was over in hers yesterday and while she was doing her blood sugar levels check, with a skin prick kit.

I done one to see what my sugar levels were, result was 11.4.

I have been checked in the past for diabetes, along with other tests for other reasons, but it has came back clear each time for diabetes.

Now I know and probably will go to the doc just in case, but can this test be skewed after a bit of grub. Any one else have similar happen.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Medical advice isn't allowed on boards e.r so no one can comment on your specific situation, but a random blood glucose test is in no way diagnostic of diabetes as it varies substantially depending on multiple factors including food intake. If you are concerned you should speak to your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A diabetes blood test is done after fasting.

Advertisement