Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get a carer for elderly mother?

Options
  • 21-05-2017 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Am trying for 5 weeks to organise a carer for 2 hours a day, for elderly mother in own home. Have called 4 agencies and they admit impossible to recruit people at the moment but will get back to me if they can get someone.
    It appears to me we are in total crisis and that the concept of people staying in their own homes for as long as possible is very difficult. We are in Leinster
    Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Eli1 wrote: »
    Am trying for 5 weeks to organise a carer for 2 hours a day, for elderly mother in own home. Have called 4 agencies and they admit impossible to recruit people at the moment but will get back to me if they can get someone.
    It appears to me we are in total crisis and that the concept of people staying in their own homes for as long as possible is very difficult. We are in Leinster
    Anyone else having this problem?

Could you ask her GP for a referral to the local district nurse team? They might be able to help.

Aside from that, private agencies might have more staff. The issue with some of the companies inability to recruit is zero hour contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

sullivlo wrote: »
    Could you ask her GP for a referral to the local district nurse team? They might be able to help.

Aside from that, private agencies might have more staff. The issue with some of the companies inability to recruit is zero hour contracts.

All agencies are private that I contacted. Still waiting for Public Health nurse to call out. No HSE home help available for her as not bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

it's all over Ireland, i am waiting for a support worker from iwa for the last two years, its got to the stage where im looking abroad for a care worker , ie live in etc

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

Skyfarm wrote: »
    it's all over Ireland, i am waiting for a support worker from iwa for the last two years, its got to the stage where im looking abroad for a care worker , ie live in etc

Thats is very disheartening to hear

Advertisement