Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ph of used cofffee grinds ?

Options
  • 20-05-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I use coffee grinds which I stir & mix in a watering can for a few days before applying to plants. My Research tells me :
    Nutrient content? The kind of coffee grounds a typical homeowner would produce or obtain are around 1.5% Nitrogen. There's also a lot of Magnesium and Potassium, both of which plants really like; but not a lot of phosphorus (the "fruiting and flowering nutrient") or calcium, a mineral that many plants crave, and whose lack helps explain that recalcitrant acidity.So mix those coffee grounds in with some lime or wood ash. We can't recommend their raw use; the acidity could be high enough to damage even acid-loving plants.
    However another source says:
    Brewed coffee grounds have a pH of between 6.5 and 6.8. This is almost neutral. The acidity angle has been misinterpreted for years.
    Which is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Get some litmus paper or a pH Meter and test it for yourself.

Advertisement