Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla failed NCT need repairs

Options
  • 19-05-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My car failed yesterday disappointingly, I thought it would pass as it I haven't been driving much this year and it passed with flying colors last year. It's a Toyota Corolla Terra 03 Saloon. It's break discs on both sides were damaged and need new one's and the break lines also on both sides are corroded. I'm going to a few mechanical's today or tomorrow to get a few quotes so I'm hoping a few experts here would know a ball park number it should cost. I'm only a student so I'm working with a tight budget especially when I somehow saved enough money last week €1100 for my insurance. I live in Dublin and would really appreciate the help, thanks.
    • Break discs
    • Break lines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Not a student of spelling.

*Dons pedantic pants and strides away, jauntily.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Brake lines possibly just needs sanding.
    Brake discs (and pads) are probably around 100
    Maybe 100 in labour.

You could do this DIY if you're handy around cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thanlon2704

Grand, I've been looking at Micks Garage and you can get a pair for €35 but I would be nervous doing them my self. I've never done anything serious other than change a few bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Grand, I've been looking at Micks Garage and you can get a pair for €35 but I would be nervous doing them my self. I've never done anything serious other than change a few bulbs.
    must be 35 for just pads for front axle. Discs be approx 50 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

biko wrote:
    Brake lines possibly just needs sanding.

NCT are onto this and will fail any brake pipes that have been sanded and sprayed. They want to see new brake pipes fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

NCT are onto this and will fail any brake pipes that have been sanded and sprayed. They want to see new brake pipes fitted.

About 5 years back I failed on corroded brake lines on a 97' Carina. Granted it was on the mouth of Christmas that my retest was and left it too late before the retest to look into getting new lines fitted. Notwithstanding that it was the mouth of Christmas no garage that I went to seemed to want to touch the car. The few I tried told me that bending and flaring brake lines was a skilled job that most garages wouldn't do....don't know how true this is. Also the fuel tank would need to be dropped which was also putting them off.

Was told also that irrespective of how good or bad the brake lines were I'd need to replace them or else don't bother going back for retest. Against the advice I got down on the freezing ground, and attacked the brake lines with some emery cloth and brasso. Fair to say they were mildy tarnished and not compromised in any manner. Didn't even re-paint them. Took it in for retest and low and behold it passed.

That was in Abbeyfeale though....heard just during the week that Abbeyfeale was the second highest pass rate for the NCT after Kilkenny I think. Meanwhile the hose from the petrol cap to the tank looked like it was about to crumple away with the rust...

Advertisement