Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with apology

Options
  • 19-05-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there, if I want to say, "Sorry for being an a**hole" in a card, is this correct:

Leithscéal as a bheith ina cúl tóna, and I wonder do I need a h after the c in cúl? Also, is there a more appropriate phrase than cúl tóna for that kind of thing (d*ckhead etc..)? I can't remember the nuns ever teaching me that one.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cad faoi: Tá brón orm as ocht a bheith pleotramán. Gabh mo leithscéil faoi, ní tarlóidh a leithead arís.

I've never ever heard of the term cúl tóna- sounds very made up / unnatural......?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Thanks Conductor, and for your reply to the other post. I've sorted both issues out now (don't need either references anymore), but I'm just wondering about cúl tóna - there's a few Irish language sites and videos that say it means the equivalent of a**hole. Not to worry, though. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've come across 'poll tóna' before- but not 'cúl tóna'
    Its not normal usage though- something like 'is cunús ceart é' - would be more common (come across more along the lines of someone being a waste/waster/useless - rahter than trying to translate 'arsehole/asshole' directly.

There are a myriad of different ways to denigrate someone in Irish- without trying to do a direct translation from English.........

Advertisement