Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Kil Moon - Vicar Street - November

Options
  • 19-05-2017 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Tickets on sale this morning!!
    New album Common as light... is growing on me with each listen :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

haven't heard new album yet, will listen to it later.
    got tickets for gig anyway.
    Thanks for the tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Picked up 2. I've heard he can be unpredictable live. Last few albums have been patchy for me, but I'll give the new one a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

seachto7 wrote: »
    Picked up 2. I've heard he can be unpredictable live..

That's part of the fun!
    Was playing somewhere in the deep south and came out and said 'hello you bunch of f@ckin rednecks' or words to that effect :)

Last gig here..

https://www.goldenplec.com/live-reviews/sun-kil-moon-in-the-national-concert-hall-copy/

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

I think album is great, he just seems to call everyone dicks and complain about life. My son asked me to turn it down. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

All I know of this band is the beautiful song Alesund. Was excited when I saw they were coming to Dublin but wouldn't be crazy about the new album. Does Mark ever tour on his own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I've heard he can be unpredictable live..

I imagine this is true.

The one time I've seen him was Body and Soul '16 where he redeemed a rain-drenched Sunday with a barnstorming performance despite a very small turnout.

Am not certain to go along to the gig yet I strongly recommend. If you like him on record, then absolutely go to the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

I thought the last gig in Dublin was brilliant. Caught him a couple of times on that tour and all were great, maybe I've been lucky but I find him quite predictable - in that he usually plays the music he is touring and plays it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

His last two gigs in Dublin have been fantastic. First one in Button Factory was all-seated and intimate as hell. He gave out to everyone that left to go the bathroom through the noisy double-doors by the stage. Asked someone to come up on stage and help with drums and paid a young lad a few hundred into the hand for helping with three songs. Ended with some Christmas carols if I recall correctly.

Last one in the NCH was even better. Much bigger scale but just as intimate. He started off playing the piano above the stage before descending and playing some stuff off Benji. Numerous call outs to audience members that left mid performance and kept asking that people fill the seats up front (me and a bunch of other lads were happy to oblige - he later complained that we were probably too young to sympathize with some of breakup songs).

He's a gas man but devoted to the performance. A performer like no-one else.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    His last two gigs in Dublin have been fantastic. First one in Button Factory was all-seated and intimate as hell. He gave out to everyone that left to go the bathroom through the noisy double-doors by the stage. Asked someone to come up on stage and help with drums and paid a young lad a few hundred into the hand for helping with three songs. Ended with some Christmas carols if I recall correctly.

Last one in the NCH was even better. Much bigger scale but just as intimate. He started off playing the piano above the stage before descending and playing some stuff off Benji. Numerous call outs to audience members that left mid performance and kept asking that people fill the seats up front (me and a bunch of other lads were happy to oblige - he later complained that we were probably too young to sympathize with some of breakup songs).

He's a gas man but devoted to the performance. A performer like no-one else.

Yeah the concert hall was fantastic... I think if people are not familiar with what he is touring then they will be disappointed as its different to the older stuff.

Playing the organ at the start was brilliant. And then the modest mouse cover with some young lad.

Damn it's a long time till November!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jucko

Can’t wait til tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

I wonder if he will play any of his festive songs tonight!

I sold my tickets in the end. I couldn't deal with the unpredictability of it all.... :(

I sold my tickets in the end. I couldn't deal with the unpredictability of it all.... :(

You got rid of them in the end yeah? I almost contacted you about them today, but despite trying my best I just couldn't get to this gig tonight.

Hope it was a great one for those who went, hope he comes back next year.

I thought it was brilliant anyway.

What release is My Love For You Is Undying on? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jucko

brilliant.... that guitar player was phenomenal, all the band brilliant.
    great charisma, very funny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That one hasn't been released yet. I thought the new songs were great, Linda Blair was another one that stood out.

Excellent gig alright. I loved the ranting about how The Edge is not a good guitar player. At over three hours it was certainly value for money.

Glad it went well. I found the last bunch of albums very patchy. I either really like his stuff, or really dislike it.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    That one hasn't been released yet. I thought the new songs were great, Linda Blair was another one that stood out.

Excellent gig alright. I loved the ranting about how The Edge is not a good guitar player. At over three hours it was certainly value for money.

Yeah I loved Linda Blair too (that was the coughing one, and then the death metal fest bit ?) .

I particularly liked Undying one. Was so sure I'd heard it before. Strange. I thought the bookstore bit was cool.

The Edge bit was funny alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Fantastic show. Love the improvisational nature of his sets and how unique they are.

Also, a big **** you to the two obnoxious twats who kept talking at normal levels throughout the gig, suggesting 'Allison' after Mark explicitly said he doesn't like playing back catalog stuff, and trying to impress the crowd with their guitar dampener knowledge.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Fantastic show. Love the improvisational nature of his sets and how unique they are.

Also, a big **** you to the two obnoxious twats who kept talking at normal levels throughout the gig, suggesting 'Allison' after Mark explicitly said he doesn't like playing back catalog stuff, and trying to impress the crowd with their guitar dampener knowledge.

Ah, maybe just as well I didn't go. I really like Ghosts.... , TIny Cities and April. I haven't even gotten around to giving the albums after that a proper listen.

Benji didn't really do it for me. Not a big fan of his stuff where he kind of rambles as opposed to sings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement