Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick insurance question

Options
  • 18-05-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just a quick questions for those with more knowledge than I.
    My sister offered to lend me her car for a day, seemed straightforward enough. She contacted her insurance to be on safe side and they want her to pay 100 euro to put me as a named driver for the day. She has open driving on her policy which i understood to mean anyone over 25 with a full licence could drive her car.
    is the insurance company being smart or is it normal to pay 100 euro for a days driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

soups05 wrote: »
    My sister offered to lend me her car for a day, seemed straightforward enough. She contacted her insurance to be on safe side and they want her to pay 100 euro to put me as a named driver for the day. She has open driving on her policy which i understood to mean anyone over 25 with a full licence could drive her car.
    is the insurance company being smart or is it normal to pay 100 euro for a days driving?
    Does she definitely, unequivocally have open drive?
    Or does she have driving other cars extension?These two are regularly confused on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

oh, did not know there was any difference. I am not sure what she has on it now. I will have to ask her when she gets off work...at 2 am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

You could rent a car cheaper than their admin fees alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Miike wrote: »
    You could rent a car cheaper than their admin fees alone.

Yep, what he said ^^^

If you've a credit card is the only thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Enquire about being added to the policy until it expires. I wanted to add my brother on for a weekend before. I was told there was an admin charge of €50 to add him for a set period of time but no admin charge to add him onto the policy until it's expiry date. There was no loading to add him to my policy so it cost nothing to add him for a few months. Not sure if that's a general thing or my broker but might be worth asking.

• Advertisement

oh, did not know there was any difference. I am not sure what she has on it now. I will have to ask her when she gets off work...at 2 am :(
    Driving other cars means that your sister can drive any other car not owned by her.
    Open drive means anyone can drive her car.
    The first one is way more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

vandriver wrote: »
    Driving other cars means that your sister can drive any other car not owned by her.
    Open drive means anyone can drive her car.
    The first one is way more common.

that is prob where i made my mistake tbh. my own car off the road at the mo cos it was costing too much to run. figured i would hire a car for the day but reading threads here it appears you need CC which i don't have, or debit card with 1500 for deposit which i also don't have lol.

think am stuffed at this stage.

that is prob where i made my mistake tbh. my own car off the road at the mo cos it was costing too much to run. figured i would hire a car for the day but reading threads here it appears you need CC which i don't have, or debit card with 1500 for deposit which i also don't have lol.

think am stuffed at this stage.
    Do try and get a quote to put you on as a named driver for the rest of the policy.

Advertisement