Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for home development

Options
  • 18-05-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on building PC at home for software development work, usual internet and office work. Software development could include requirement to run multiple VMs and/or containers. I also want to use multiple monitors (2 initially, maybe 3 in the future). I would also like something reasonably quiet. For reference I use an i7-6600U @ 2.6GHz with 16 GB RAM in work. I'd be looking for at least 16GB RAM and maybe 32GB or at least the option to upgrade to 32GB in the future if required. I don't think processor speed is as significant a factor.

I have a NAS so storage on the PC itself is not a priority.

1. What is your budget? Would like it under €800 if possible.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Software development/Internet/Home office.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Have a 750Gb SSD, keyboard, mouse.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] Have 2 1920x1080 24''. May want to use a third at some stage in the future.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers] Wireless card, Card reader

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card] Credit card for safety.

9. When are you purchasing? Next few weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be able to put the pieces together myself. I've never built a machine but I have added/removed hard drives and RAM from a machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

Here's what I've put together using PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£257.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B250 PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.38 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£109.99 @ Aria PC)
    Case: NZXT - Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£32.88 @ Aria PC)
    Sound Card: Asus - Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (£23.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £552.13

Don't think I need a video card, at least initially.

Advertisement