Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Issue list of Banned Airlines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Flown 4 of the banned airlines before mainly the Nepali ones and will be flying them again soon however I can see why they're banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Some of the names are gas - there is one on there called "CANADIAN AIRWAYS CONGO", based in Brazzaville and i'll bet it is as "Canadian" as a Koala bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

dogmatix wrote: »
    Some of the names are gas - there is one on there called "CANADIAN AIRWAYS CONGO", based in Brazzaville and i'll bet it is as "Canadian" as a Koala bear.

There is a reason for that though. I think the guy who founded it and runs it is Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

dogmatix wrote: »

My personal favourite is SEVEN FOUR EIGHT AIR SERVICES LTD from Sierra Leone. I wonder how many 748's they're operating these days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Busy Bee from Congo. Great name!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Zonda999 wrote: »
    My personal favourite is SEVEN FOUR EIGHT AIR SERVICES LTD from Sierra Leone. I wonder how many 748's they're operating these days:D

They operate a single Hawker Sidley 748 so the name makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Hah, I wonder what Kush Aviation was set up to transport?:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I've flown with several of those airlines and actually worked for a couple of them at various times, in various roles over the years :eek:
    No doubt there are a lot of well dodgy airlines on there but there will also be a few perfectly safe airlines who are only on the list because of a technicality or an issue with the body charged with their regulatory oversight. You could for example have a perfectly safe and competent airworthiness authority and airline in some far off corner of the globe who don't comply with a certain EASA directive because they have no need to will find themselves on this list despite having no intention of ever operating in EU airspace.
    I once worked for a small airline who through no fault of their own found themselves on the FAA 'No Fly' list because of an obscure finding to do with the qualifications of a certain nominated post holder in their airworthiness authorities and a few other low level audit findings to do with the infrastructure and fire coverage at the main airport on the island. They were perfectly acceptable to JAR (as it was at the time) and the UK CAA who's system they effectively mirrored so they had no need to comply with these findings but in the end they spent a fortune having to rectify these issues just so they could get themselves off the blacklist.
    Interesting to see the North Korean airline (Koryo) are on the blacklist but not their entire fleet....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have they added Air France to the list due to their safety record?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The congo is winning in terms of interestingly named airlines on the banned list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did they all crash somewhere or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Did they all crash somewhere or what?

As far as I know, most of the airlines banned are because the countries safety regulations don't meet Europe's standards. So all airlines in Nepal will be banned by default even if they themselves are implement extremely good safety standards. I believe an individual airline can then apply to be exempt from the ban. - I could well be wrong though. Especially since not all of Air Koryos's fleet is banned from EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I was surprised with Afriqyah airlines and also Iraqi Airways.

Afriqiyah flew into LGW for a number of years and as far as I recall there were never any mishaps with them (they did have a crash with an A330 I remember but that's hardly grounds to ban them.

As for Iraqi airways, surely this has to be a technicality?

Advertisement