Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants for tiny pond - advice needed

Options
  • 18-05-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I'd like to build a mini pond in my garden. It's basically a steel tub and I'd like to plant hostas and ferns around it. The area gets some sun during the day, but it's next to a hedge so mainly shade. I'd like to put some plants into the 'pond' but I'm not sure what would be suitable? I've never actually seen aquatic plants in any garden centres, where could I get those?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you in dublin?
    we have bought pond plants in the garden centre in johnstown (out near naas) and in pond hobby in north dublin.
    probably best to ring pond hobby if you did want to head out - they're recovering from damage from storm doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Aquatic plants can be harder to source.
    Often it is a good idea to look at what grows naturally - currently I have the brilliant blue flowers of Brooklime in mine, collected from a rural stream.
    Some watermint in pots, also useful for mint sauce and gin-and-tonic, LOL

There are many kinds of waterlilies which don't take up too much room. I think Johnstown Garden Centre used to have a good selection.
    Irises are probably too big.

Even a small amount of water in a garden will attract wildlife - you'll see many birds having a splash :-)

The birds will also bring in duckweed and floating pondweeds on their feet, which you will have to scoop out, so get a child's fishing-net.

A side note - Hostas in a damp and shady place run a very high risk of being eaten by slugs. Just saying.

My first pond was a Belfast sink and I still enjoy looking in at the tiny creatures that live in it---we've even had tadpoles, some years.
    Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Thank you both for the advice, very helpful! Will have a look in Johnstown garden centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nice idea - how do you deal with rain filling it up and overflowing?

Advertisement