Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Interview

Options
  • 17-05-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Today I had my first interview in 5 years. I've always been really good at interviews and have always crushed them. I thought today would be no different, and I felt confident and prepared. I had studied the company (I knew them anyway), the role and correctly predicted the line of questioning.

The interview started reasonably well. I was able to rattle off my experience and accomplishments with confidence, and nailed the questions about the company. The problem? I lost all composure about half way through my interview while trying to answer the most basic of questions. I completely waffled and the answers were totally scatty on about two questions. I kind of regained a bit of composure after that but I fear the damage was done.

I feel completely deflated now. Interviews are something i've never had to worry about.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with feeling like they butchered an interview, only to be invited back to the next round?

2. Has anyone overcome problems with Interview composure and, if so, how have you done it?

3. What resources have you used to improve your interview technique?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's like the old Carnegie Hall joke - practice, practice, practice.

You could pay for an interview prep course, or you could get together 2 or 3 trusted mentors to do a mock interview with you and give you feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Thats not a bad idea. I'll definitely look into interview coaches in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Write down the 20 most asked interview questions and prepare detailed answers. Give the situation, what you did and the results. Can fall back on this if needs be. Also youtube videos of what to do and what not to do are helpful. Most important is be well prepared and show passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Know your CV inside out, no need to be caught out by something on it. Also get your STAR stories in order.

Ask a friend to do a mock interview with you, it's a great help

Write down the 20 most asked interview questions and prepare detailed answers. Give the situation, what you did and the results. Can fall back on this if needs be. Also youtube videos of what to do and what not to do are helpful. Most important is be well prepared and show passion.

Thats the thing. I listed 30 odd questions that I expected and made bullet point talking points for each. Every question asked was in my predictions. I practiced my answers and nailed the first 5 or so questions. I just completely lost my composure out of nowhere. The question was simple. Along the lines of "name a time when you encountered X. What did you do". It was a question I have answered in a dozen other interviews, this time I just waffled about nonsense.

• Advertisement

MySandwich wrote: »
    Know your CV inside out, no need to be caught out by something on it. Also get your STAR stories in order.

Ask a friend to do a mock interview with you, it's a great help

I nailed my CV questions. I definitely need to scrub up on my STAR though. I had listed the STAR questions I had expected, but I hadn't practiced the answer because i've never had an issue with these questions. I can usually rattle off answers at ease. I just couldn't think of an example, despite having listed a few an hour before the interview. I ended up waffling about a situation I was once in, but it was far from fluent and a poor example.

I'm just completely out of practice I guess. I think interview coaching or having a friend interview me is a must. I'm totally off my game.

billyduk wrote: »
    I nailed my CV questions. I definitely need to scrub up on my STAR though. I had listed the STAR questions I had expected, but I hadn't practiced the answer because i've never had an issue with these questions. I can usually rattle off answers at ease. I just couldn't think of an example, despite having listed a few an hour before the interview. I ended up waffling about a situation I was once in, but it was far from fluent and a poor example.

I'm just completely out of practice I guess. I think interview coaching or having a friend interview me is a must. I'm totally off my game.

The good thing about the star questions is that they're almost the same no matter what the interview (example of teamwork, angry client etc.) So they're easy to perfect.

The interview coaching is pretty good, the one I went to recorded our mock interview and gave me the dvd to look at later. Also commented on body language and whatnot. They can be pricey, but worth the money in the long run

The good thing about the star questions is that they're almost the same no matter what the interview (example of teamwork, angry client etc.) So they're easy to perfect.

The interview coaching is pretty good, the one I went to recorded our mock interview and gave me the dvd to look at later. Also commented on body language and whatnot. They can be pricey, but worth the money in the long run

It's definitely something i'm willing to invest in. I've already trained in body language (for public speaking) so i'm quite well versed in that area. I just need someone to run through an interview with me and try to trip me up I think. The only way i'm going to regain my composure is by being rattled a few times I guess. I definitely need to practice my STAR question anecdotes. That was the question I first tripped on. The other one would have been easy to answer had I not been so aware how I butchered the first one.

It's definitely something i'm willing to invest in. I've already trained in body language (for public speaking) so i'm quite well versed in that area. I just need someone to run through an interview with me and try to trip me up I think. The only way i'm going to regain my composure is by being rattled a few times I guess. I definitely need to practice my STAR question anecdotes. That was the question I first tripped on. The other one would have been easy to answer had I not been so aware how I butchered the first one.

The interview coach will go through all of that, and more tips about how to keep your composure

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

"The interview started reasonably well. I was able to rattle off my experience and accomplishments with confidence, and nailed the questions about the company. The problem? I lost all composure about half way through my interview while trying to answer the most basic of questions. I completely waffled and the answers were totally scatty on about two questions. I kind of regained a bit of composure after that but I fear the damage was done"

There's nothing worse than post interview reflection because it's human nature to over examine what you said and should have said. Just remember most interviewers are positively disposed to candidates because they are actively looking to fill the vacancy so nerves, the odd slip or less than satisfactory answer to one or two questions isn't an interview killer.

How did they react to the two questions you felt weren't up to scratch ? Did they come back and re frame the question, ask it again or try to get you to expand the answer ?

How do you feel the end of the interview went ? what vibe did you get as you finished up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You allowed have off days. It sucks that it happened in the middle of an interview but it sounds like it might not be such a big deal. If it became something in the next few interviews then I would revisit. For now I would put it out of my mind and get back on the horse.

Etc wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than post interview reflection because it's human nature to over examine what you said and should have said. Just remember most interviewers are positively disposed to candidates because they are actively looking to fill the vacancy so nerves, the odd slip or less than satisfactory answer to one or two questions isn't an interview killer.

Thats true. Unfortunately, the interviewer made a point of saying that "while we are looking to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, we have no problem waiting for the right candidate."
    How did they react to the two questions you felt weren't up to scratch ? Did they come back and re frame the question, ask it again or try to get you to expand the answer ?

"They just moved on to the next question. No real response to be honest. I answered the question, just in a clumsy and poorly structured way. There were a few "umms" and one or two "ya know" which is very uncharacteristic for me. I'm usually quite solid and take a moment to have a drink if I need a few seconds to think.
    How do you feel the end of the interview went ? what vibe did you get as you finished up ?

It was generally good. I asked a few questions about certain aspects of the company and the interviewer commented on them being good questions.

After that the interviewer explained the next steps should I be successful called back for a second interview (which is normal) but mentioned that they are more than willing to wait for the right candidate (mentioning this raised a flag about how my slip ups may have been perceived).

I've relaxed a bit since posting this thread. I feel I won't be recalled for a second interview. Although thats a first for me and i'm disappointed about missing an opportunity with a company I really admire, at least I can see what aspects of my interview approach needs to improve.

You allowed have off days. It sucks that it happened in the middle of an interview but it sounds like it might not be such a big deal. If it became something in the next few interviews then I would revisit. For now I would put it out of my mind and get back on the horse.

Cheers! I know it happens and i'm lucky that it hasn't happened to me before. I've stopped catastrophising the situation now. I'm just looking to learn from the bad experience and looking for tips and resources from the good folk on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If you had a good start, that was a big thing.

It's true what they say first impressions last. You can tell very quickly if the interviewee is one you could work with, and will them on to answer well.

That being the case the interviewers may make allowances for what you thought were badly answered questions. It's human nature.

Some of the traditional interviews I'd gone for thinking I did a really good interview and didn't get offered the job.

Other interviews (one recent, senior position) and I hardly got a word in edgeways first and second round interviews. I'd classify it as a non traditional interview, and all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

My worst interviews have been where I learnt off the answers and regurgitated them in interview - all my focus was on what I was saying instead of reading the interviewers to see if I was giving them what they wanted and whether they wanted more.

I rather take the questions as they come - by all means have bullet point examples / answers in your mind for standard questions but let the answers come out naturally. I find I'm more relaxed because I'm not worried about whether I'll remember all the answers I learnt by rote.

[QUOTE=kaymin;103543239I rather take the questions as they come - by all means have bullet point examples / answers in your mind for standard questions but let the answers come out naturally. I find I'm more relaxed because I'm not worried about whether I'll remember all the answers I learnt by rote.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. This is my usual approach. I use the bullets of the things I want to mention as a refresher before the interview and I then practice rattling off answers and give myself points for each one I remember in my answer. I did that this time and I was able to flow through my experience and accomplishments quite confidently with a good flow. I seemed to impress on my answer about what I know of the company. I knew the company and genuinely admire them so it was easy to run freely with this.

I just tripped up on an answer and became hyper aware that I had done so while still trying to finish the answer. I panicked and waffled; unable to recover my composure in time for the following question.

I definitely need to practice on my flow. It's something that wasn't quite perfect this time round. I just never thought that interviewing would be a skill you could lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If it's your first interview in 5 years, as you've been in your current job for 5 yrs, the interviewer will be able to see that from your CV. It is quite possible that they will make allowances for you being rusty in an interview setting. They know that all the prep and research is no real subsitute for sitting through the real thing. While you may have been very unhappy with how the interview went overall, maybe you didn't do as badly as you think.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    While you may have been very unhappy with how the interview went overall, maybe you didn't do as badly as you think.

Thanks dude. It's not the end of the world. I just really had my heart set on impressing them as I admire them.

I can't really see (right now) how badly it may have been perceived. When I say I butchered the two questions I mean I REALLY butchered them (well... at least the first one of the two). I spoke like a guy with a head injury who had just learned English through Rosetta Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could also consider applying for a few jobs that you're not that pushed about, just to get some more interview practice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think you might be overthinking things. You had a good start, stumbled a bit but then got it back together, these things happen and its not necessarily a sign of any inherent weakness on your part.

Talking about interview coaches etc etc seems rather unnecessary, you were good at interviews in the past and you probably still are, just don't let one bad question be such a knock to your confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Marv8

Thats true. Unfortunately, the interviewer made a point of saying that "while we are looking to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, we have no problem waiting for the right candidate."

"They just moved on to the next question. No real response to be honest. I answered the question, just in a clumsy and poorly structured way. There were a few "umms" and one or two "ya know" which is very uncharacteristic for me. I'm usually quite solid and take a moment to have a drink if I need a few seconds to think.

It was generally good. I asked a few questions about certain aspects of the company and the interviewer commented on them being good questions.

After that the interviewer explained the next steps should I be successful called back for a second interview (which is normal) but mentioned that they are more than willing to wait for the right candidate (mentioning this raised a flag about how my slip ups may have been perceived).

I've relaxed a bit since posting this thread. I feel I won't be recalled for a second interview. Although thats a first for me and i'm disappointed about missing an opportunity with a company I really admire, at least I can see what aspects of my interview approach needs to improve.

Would at the end of the interview when asked if you have anything to add, have been a good time to go back to them questions and just say that you felt you didnt answer properly or something like that?

I did this myself once when I thought I waffled a bit and the interviewers seemed glad that I did.

You could also consider applying for a few jobs that you're not that pushed about, just to get some more interview practice in.

Not a fan of this approach myself, it's not fair on prospective companies and is just a waste of everyone's time.

Marv8 wrote: »
    Would at the end of the interview when asked if you have anything to add, have been a good time to go back to them questions and just say that you felt you didnt answer properly or something like that?

I did this myself once when I thought I waffled a bit and the interviewers seemed glad that I did.

Great shout. I didn't have the composure to think like this at the time. I was in recovery mode and just trying not to trip up again. I must keep this in mind during my next interview.

Not a fan of this approach myself, it's not fair on prospective companies and is just a waste of everyone's time.

I agree. I don't like burning companies like that.

Advertisement