Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a alcoholic family member with alcohol dementia

Options
  • 17-05-2017 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I really need advice. My aunt is an alcoholic and over the past few months she's gotten really bad with dementia caused by alcohol. She is supposed to be my 95 year old grandmother's carer but in the last couple of months she has been forgetting to feed her and look after her. The whole family go in daily now to cook and clean but my aunt is getting worse. She won't eat anything in weeks, hasn't washed plus she broke her hip 2 years ago and is on a crutch can barely walk.
    Both her and my Nan sleep in the sitting room and she now has her up till all hours my Nan is exhausted. She is very very sick but won't let anyone call the gp or an ambulance and thinks we're all against her.

Is there any way we can get her sectioned she's a danger not only to herself but to my Nan. We are afraid the house will be burnt down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It's unlikely that you could get her sectioned as acvording to mental health law , alcohol is not a reason that you can section her for.
    You need to get your Gp and more importantly a social worker involved.

Advertisement