Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS420 died… upgradable replacement budget PC urgently needed!

Options
  • 17-05-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

My trusted DELL XPS420 has recently bit the bullet… I'm looking for a cheap, second hand replacement (€250 max investment) where I can re-use some of the newer components of my old DELL.
    Primary usage will be:
    1. Plex Server for streaming in-home (my media is saved on a Synology DS212)… so PC always on
    2. Basic MS Office stuff plus connecting remotely into my work PC
    3. Occasional video editing (GoPro/drone 2.7K quality; usually 20-30min footage to get 2-3min clips; trimming, color grading, transitions and soundtrack)

My 10yr old XPS was able to handle these sufficiently well so don’t need much more in terms of performance. The only drawbacks were fan noise, power consumption and heat dissipation (my small home office was a furnace!)

Current XPS420 specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Q6600
    8GB DDR2 RAM
    Radeon HD 5450 1GB PCIe
    160GB Intel SSD
    1TB WD HDD
    PCI Express USB 3.0 card
    Windows 7 home

I'd like to hopefully re-use the GPU, SSD/HDD and USB3.0 card (if not present already) in the new rig. Have been looking through Adverts for used deals and found an abundance of SFF/mini towers which look ok in terms of price/CPU but may pose some issues in upgrading: Dell Optiplex 390 (i5 Quad 3.1Ghz); Dell Vostro 430 (i5 2.67Ghz Quad); HP Elite 8200 (i5 3.7Ghz Quad) for example

Any suggestions in terms of what to ask/look for regarding minimum requirements for CPU, expansion slots, PSU wattage. If you find/ know of any suitable deals please post or PM me (if it's ok with forum policies)
    Let me know if you want more info. Cheers.

Advertisement