Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another GERD thread ( hope)...

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭

Finding myself bricking it a little this week.

I've had ongoing issues with reflux for years and have been for endoscopy twice. Both times it was clear, although the last time they did say that I had some scarring at the bottom of the esophagus caused by reflux although they took biopsies from that area and all was clear. I was on Omeprazole for a while but stopped as the symptoms had stopped and I had lost a fair amount of weight.

For the past few months it's been back. I don't get the typical burning of indigestion, but I cough a lot after eating. I also had a few episodes where a bit of food caught in my throat and needed a few more swallows to go down.

The kicker is that both my mother and grandmother died from esophageal cancer. My granny in her 70s and mother in her 40s. Neither ever smoked nor drank alcohol.

This time it seems that the doctor referred me as an urgent case. Which is good in that I will have my endoscopy within 2 weeks of referral but bad in that if they're concerned, then I'm concerned! The GP did bloods before referring me and a few things were a little off, low hemoglobin etc. I know that being anemic can be an indicator for cancer, but it is also a known side effect of certain medication including PPIs and Ramipril, both of which I take. I suspect that the urgency of the referral was due to the swallowing difficulty although as I say that only happened twice and that was a few months ago before I got back on the Omeprazole.

I'm for the scope on Monday afternoon. It's going to be a long crappy wait til then.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Good luck with the scope on Monday, I used to take the sedation for them. I do wish you all the best.

I am a 10 year esophageal cancer survivor at this stage and mother of a 5 and 7 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Good luck with the scope on Monday, I used to take the sedation for them. I do wish you all the best.

I am a 10 year esophageal cancer survivor at this stage and mother of a 5 and 7 year old.

Yup I found your "GoCathy" thread a few weeks ago. Inspirational.

What stage was your cancer at when diagnosed?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yup I found your "GoCathy" thread a few weeks ago. Inspirational.

What stage was your cancer at when diagnosed?
    Stage 3, though they were not totally sure until the surgery :) It does change you but I do have a life...having my children was a bigger if lovely change.

Wow, stage 3 recovery rates are awful, that's amazing.

Really crappy week.

It's the longest wait ever. Wasn't overly worried about it when first referred but since finding out on Monday that it was an urgent referral I've been crapping myself. Your mind goes through ups and downs constantly.

The Internet is both friend and enemy. Half the times I venture online I find people with worse symptoms than myself who have merely had GERD. The other half of the time I find horror stories of cancer.

My weight has been pretty stable all year. Actually tried hard to lose weight for a few months and couldn't shift it.

Since Monday I've lost 6lbs (I weighed 224 starting off). Most likely through sheer stress and anxiety but of course sudden weight loss is a big indicator for cancer which in turn makes the anxiety even worse.

I know that the usual reason cancer patients lose weight is loss of appetite and/or a difficulty in swallowing food. In my case this week I've been eating fine but the weight is still pouring off. The only consolation is that it would be kinda weird for the weight loss to be cancer related given that it only started a few days ago and coincides with the day I found out it was an urgent referral rather than routine.

Getting bouts of sweating and palpitations though when I stress out about next Monday. Going to be a long weekend.

:(

• Advertisement

Do not look at the internet. I know that the wait is tough so that is easier said than done. Have a lovely weekend, see a good movie, have a lovely meal.

I do fully understand where you are coming from so what you are feeling is understandable and to be expected but do try and do some nice things over the weekend.

I think I've pretty much exhausted the Internet database on esophagitis, gastritis, diabetes, stress related weight loss, esophageal cancer and everything in between.

Just had a nice meal (and coughed profusely afterwards), and spent some time today reflecting and calming myself.

I'll survive the weekend and then take Monday however it goes.

What you are going through is scary - it is understandable to be scared. I have type 1 diabetes so I know about that too! The wait is tough but soon you will know either way. I had my endoscope the day after I saw the gastroenterologist so I only had a day wait. You have the lovely weekend ahead now so that is something :) Monday will happen soon enough...best wishes to you.

Well had a very chilled weekend. Got my head straight and calmed down.

After losing 6lbs in 3 days I put on 2lbs over the weekend.

3pm today is the scope time. Say a prayer for me!

Clear.

Thank God.

The procedure itself was rough this time. Even with the sedation I felt everything and it was almost at horrible as the first time I was scoped with no sedation.

They've taken some biopsies just to be safe but they don't see anything to concern them.

Such a weight off my mind.

Thank you @cathymoran for listening and understanding.

• Advertisement

I saw your post at lunch time but could not reply then sorry. I am glad and relieved that it went well.

Advertisement