Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't get accepted, but have the right grades.

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me.

I had applied for the food science masters at UCC. I have a level 8 in agricultural science where I achieved a 2.1, 68% average. I also did my final year thesis on whey proteins, which is basically a food science topic. The one thing I didn't do (for stupid reason) was put a lot of effort/words into the supplementary questions which go with the applications. They basically ask why you want to do the course etc and I only did the bare word count of 100 words. It probably came across as lazy, and now I immensely regret it.

Would this stop them from taking me? I had it in my head I once you have the grades you would get in.

Anyone know anything about these applications and why I might have not got in? I'm stressing now as I thought I'd just get in with my grades...

Cheers

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's usually limited spaces for all Masters courses in any college. Most intake probably <20 per year. If there's more applications than the number of spaces in the course, then the people who run the course will decide which people they wish to accept, based on their applications. If you didn't put much effort into it then that's probably why you weren't accepted. They may have taken someone with similar or lesser grades, but a better application which showed more interest in taking the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

****. Im such an idiot. I really want to do this course. I really regret not doing more.

Thanks for that anyway.

Do you think I have any chance of getting in still if I can contact someone or would you say the damage is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

20 people could have been accepted who had 1.1 degrees

Yeah, you're right. Looks like iv just plain missed out.

I applied to do a certain masters 2 years in a row and was refused both times. Got into a different course in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I was applied and was accepted to multiple masters courses when I was of that age. Obviously I could only have done one, so surely those places were then offered to others once I'd turned them down.

If you really want the course, I'd absolutely follow it up. Find out who runs the course (should be on the website) and mail them, explaining the error of your ways and explaining how much you'd really like to partake. Say that should any places become available, you'd jump at the chance to do the course and express some enthusiasm!

However, I must point out that what you did in the first instance was very silly and naive, so let this be a lesson to you in future. If you actually want something, don't be complacent - in this scenario you got no more than you deserved, but IMO its not too late to put it right if you're willing to make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Following up is a good idea, as there are often dropouts very close to the start date of the course.

Did you apply to any other course as a backup?

I followed up just asking for some feedback as to why I was not accepted, and got a reply with an offer for the course! Yes! The reason being my ag sci degree didn't have very much chemistry, which is actually a fair enough reason, but I got in on my final year thesis as it was basically a food science project. Learned my lesson though. Thanks for the replies anyway people

Nice one. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Congrats!

• Advertisement
Advertisement