Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Lingus?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭

Ryan Seacrest thinks Lingus is a place in Ireland because of Aer Lingus

As we know some place names in this country of ours can be a big of a tongue twister for our American friends; so much so they think every usual word is an Irish location.

Well, would you believe us when we try to explain that Youghal is pronounced, yawl?

Yesterday, US TV hosts Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest were discussing Delta Airlines terminal move on their morning chat show and mentioned Aer Lingus as one of the airlines that would be affected.

The conversation then went something like this:

Ryan: If you're going to Canada, Air Canada. If you're going to Lingus, Aer Lingus. I don't know where that is I think it's in Ireland somewhere.

Lisa: I've always been curious about Aer Lingus, but I've always been too embarrassed to ask. I'm like What is Aer Lingus? and I wanna go on it.

Skip ahead to 12:43 to listen:

Of course, being the legends that they are Aer Lingus tweeted the host to visit them at the terminal.

FYI, the term Aer Lingus is an anglicisation of the Irish word, aerloingeas meaning "air fleet".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/watch-ryan-seacrest-thinks-lingus-is-a-place-in-ireland-because-of-aer-lingus-790001.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryan Seacrest even has his turgid voicetracked radio show played in Dublin, so you'd think he might have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It's funny, i've never thought of Aer Lingus, and what the "Lingus" means, until now. Apparently it means "fleet" (according to google) so Aer Lingus means "Air Fleet". I learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And I see Kub has already explained that so I did not even need to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Well if our friend AustrianSimon can call it Lingus on his site, then why should we expect 2 american tv hosts to know better.

And i don't mean that as a dig at AVHerald, but more as a "lets not get our knickers in a knot about two tv hosts on a different continent"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dogmatix wrote: »
    It's funny, i've never thought of Aer Lingus, and what the "Lingus" means, until now. Apparently it means "fleet" (according to google) so Aer Lingus means "Air Fleet". I learn something new everyday.

Exact same naming structure as many other older airlines. Aeroflot for instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The name Lufthansa derives from Luft (the German word for "air") and Hansa (the Hanseatic trade organization that ruled large parts of Northern Europe during the medieval times).

Airliners.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Well Finglas is near the airport......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

How many people in Ireland can admit to knowing what Lingus means? Years ago even in JFK I was asking around and the various hispanics working there assumed l was looking for aerolineas the Argentine airline.

Could just not handle more than 10 seconds of that show. Imagine that first thing every morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well, you learn something every day...

Thanks for that nugget. OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Also there's an airline called Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij .

Wisely they shortened it to KLM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement