Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Vodafone refuse to replace faulty battery?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I bought an iPhone 6S in 2016 and the battery was faulty. It's a known issue acknowledged by Apple and Vodafone repaired it for me.

It's happened again and Apple ran the diagnostics and said yep, it's the same issue and to return it to Vodafone who should fix it. But Vodafone are trying to charge me €355 to mend it, citing the fact there is a small crack in the corner of the screen.

The crack doesn't bother me, the issue is with the battery. I just need the battery replacing for free, because Vodafone have sold me faulty goods.

I called Vodafone customer care, who told me I could get the screen repaired myself, and then Vodafone would repair the battery for me. However the manager of the shop said no, getting it repaired by someone else means they won't touch it.

At the end of the day, Apple have acknowledged there's a battery issue, Vodafone have sold me faulty goods again, but won't repair or replace it despite the EU electronics directive which stipulates that under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

Can Vodafone really refuse to repair the battery if I get the screen fixed elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

there is a couple of issues here at play.

First of nobody repairs Apple phones officially .. not apple, not vodafone not anyone. Apple does not supply official parts for phones to anyone. So if you get it repaired by one of the many repair shops it will be repaired with parts sourced from one of the many third party and official channels .. but not apple parts.

When anyone sends a phone back to apple for repair .. it is not repaired; they will replace it with a refurb model (which is more or less a total new unit). If you phone is in warranty and the fault is covered by warranty you won't pay for this replacement.

If the unit is out of warranty or has physical damage it will incur a charge from apple for the repair ..i'm not sure what the rate is for a 6s but it is a set price from apple and is more or less a trade in of the damaged unit for a perfect refurb model.

If your phone is one of the affected units with battery issues Apple have a recall process in place

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

However, as you have physical damage on the phone Apple may not cover this issue under warranty / recall. I have heard they will accept some slight physical damage as inevitable but will need to inspect the phone prior to accepting it.

So if you check your serial number on the link above and if it is one of the affected units go through the process outlined on the website .. as dealing with apple directly is always a better experience than through the place you purchased it.

If you don't get joy with Apple you still have the small claims courts as a route open to you with vodafone. How successful this will be I don't know as the fact that the phone is physically damaged may be taken in to consideration as to why there is other problems with the phone .. cracked glass can break seals which may allow moisture in to the phone causing damage ... it only takes the smallest bit of moisture to cause corrosion internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

whippet wrote: »
    there is a couple of issues here at play.

When anyone sends a phone back to apple for repair .. it is not repaired; they will replace it with a refurb model (which is more or less a total new unit). If you phone is in warranty and the fault is covered by warranty you won't pay for this replacement.

Thats not true. I sent my phone off for the battery replacement, and my phone definitely came back....there was scratches on the back of my phone and they are still there.

OP, im not sure what the logic is, but when i was organising the new battery with apple, they told me the phone screen cant be cracked, if it was they would send it straight back to me.
    I had a screen saver on it, and it came back without it. Again, not sure why they had to remove it, but listen, i was so happy to get a new battery because it was nearly like a landline it hand to be left on charge that much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

mel123 wrote: »
    Thats not true. I sent my phone off for the battery replacement, and my phone definitely came back....there was scratches on the back of my phone and they are still there.

I would dispute that; but we are just to ransomers on an internet forum so no real point.
    OP, im not sure what the logic is, but when i was organising the new battery with apple, they told me the phone screen cant be cracked, if it was they would send it straight back to me.
    I had a screen saver on it, and it came back without it. Again, not sure why they had to remove it, but listen, i was so happy to get a new battery because it was nearly like a landline it hand to be left on charge that much :)

Even if they were replacing the battery the only way to do it would be by removing the screen. When you remove a cracked screen the chances of it shattering is quite large .. also they wouldn't be able to put back on the cracked screen with new seals in place so wouldn't be able to replace battery without replacing the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are some phone repair shops which quote a flat fee based on the model so they charge the same regardless of what the fault is. That means that every 'repair' is actually a refurbishment.

An example is Fonefix (formerly MPRC) in Sandyford Ind. Estate, I suspect that's where Vodafone will send the OP's phone if he gives it to them and they know that they can't selectively ask for the battery alone to be fixed.

Just checked before posting this and guess what? Fonefix are quoting a flat rate (regardless of the fault) of €355 for an iPhone 6s so that's who Vodafone are using.

www.mprc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i can confirm vodafone use fonefix.

IE not apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

I can confirm this. If the phone can be repaired it will be. Especially batteries and front facing glass.

I can go into more detail if ye want. Worked there for years...

Advertisement