Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which assistant understands you best?

Options
  • 16-05-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭

Video on Wired thats relevant to this sub.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/ai-assistants-accented-english/
    We put the three top assistants to the test. We asked friends of ours from Italy, Ireland, Scotland, England, Japan, Germany, and Australia to ask an iPhone with Siri, a Google Home, and an Amazon Echo various questions. Mostly, the assistants did a pretty good job. Mostly
    Google wins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

I've not got a particularly strong Irish accent and I've found Google's​ voice recognition to be really good, Amazon's is not quite as good, Siri is ok but makes regularly mistakes in my experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd put them in this order, for me:

- Google
    - Siri
    - Alexa

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

What do the ladies using Google Home think?

I have a pretty high success rate with ours, I cannot remember the last time it got an instruction incorrect but for my wife it's a daily occurrence. Does Google Home struggle to understand the female voice?

I must also point out that my wife thinks Google Home is similar to the "Computer" in Star Trek etc..; This amazing flawless voice recognition system.

She sings to it sometimes and gets angry when it doesn't understand her so her tone changes as a result which makes it even worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Open the pod bay doors please Hal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Funnily my better half complains about all the ladies I've in my home! :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Something similar here, though my wife either speaks like she's talking to a foreigner (slow and annunciated - somehow this doesn't work well), or giddy/singing to it. I find when I just speak normally it understands me 9/10 times.

Biggest repeat offenders are:
    "Hey Google, Turn off the hall light." I think I merge the 2 words (all the L's) into one.
    "Hey Google, Set the volume to 3". Twice i've set alarms for 3 and 4am. Silly Google.

I did have a great conversation yesterday though. I asked about Supervalu, it found 3 or so within an 8 mile radius. I replied "Ok Google, the first one". It gave me more details on the first supervalu, to which I replied "ok Google, what time does it close". Unfortunately Supervalu was already closed. :(

Advertisement