Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym's in cork

Options
  • 16-05-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was in NRG Fitness in Lee Hotel, but due to the fact that they open at 6.30 and never seem to listen to their customers about opening at 6am,
    I need to be at home by 7:30 so really if i stay within NRG i would only get 20 mins in their each morning, i am unable to get into the gym in the evening due to having kids.
    I am now looking at a the Kingsley Hotel, they seem to open at 6am which would give me a full hour in the gym each morning,
    I'll be forking out an extra 15 a month, just wondering is any one in the Kingsley and if so is it a good gym ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sareail

I have used the Kingsley PAYG and the pool is great but the gym is lacking IMO. More of a leisure centre than a gym - doesn't have the atmosphere to make me want to join.

I know Dennehy's Health and Fitness opens at 6am in Ballincollig and Blackpool and is open late (until 11pm) if you could go after the kids have gone to bed. Its also fairly reasonably priced. :)

docker.io wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was in NRG Fitness in Lee Hotel, but due to the fact that they open at 6.30 and never seem to listen to their customers about opening at 6am..................

I'd imagine most are happy with the opening times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stilllooking

Club Vitae at the Clayton hotel opens at 6am Monday to Saturday and 8am Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 juli123

i am in rivers edge fitness. i guess they open at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Club Vitae at the Clayton hotel opens at 6am Monday to Saturday and 8am Sunday

anyone have an experience with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Does anyone know of a silent gym (one without music blaring).

It seems that every gym I have tried has the loud racquet. You can ask them to turn it down, which is fine, til another worker turns it back up.

Most people seem to be trying to listen to their own headphones, and probably have the volume cranked up to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jeez Vector you're not asking for much there with a silent gym.
    I'm not sure heavy breathing, grunting and wheezing is a soundtrack I'd like to have to listen too for an hour a few times a week!

Buy a relatively decent set of noise cancelling earphones and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently nrg open at 6 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The planet is gone to the dogs.

I was there until last January.

They stopped the up front annual payment so now it's only a pay by the month option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

I see ben dunne is opening in PortLoaise and Waterford before the year is out - anyone know if they have plans to open in Cork ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

NRG is looking pretty grotty, I am a member for the last few years and I think this might be my last, lockers broker and changing rooms pretty grim, whole place looks shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

mcko wrote: »
    NRG is looking pretty grotty, I am a member for the last few years and I think this might be my last, lockers broker and changing rooms pretty grim, whole place looks shabby.

I joined the Kingley, but before I didn't I email and facebooked NRG asking them about opening 6am in which i never got any word back so I went away to join that place.
    was a member there for about 4yrs but around my last year with them, the locker room was no joke, smell of p**s I don't think they were ever cleaned. the place at 6 or 7pm was not even funny no point even going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Fitnessworx on Tramore Road opens at 6.00 am according to their website. They don't have a pool though. I go myself and I really like it. Cant compare to other gyms as its the first one I've ever joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

I go to NRG for the last year or so, it's really in need of a touch up. It's a shame that such an expensive gym in such a 'luxury' hotel is so shabby. Machines are poorly maintained and many of the benches are so worn out that the material is cracked. Changing rooms finally got their roofs cleaned (mould removed.....) but many lockers are broken and the showers are quite bad.

They could really use a new set of machines as well, or at least proper maintenance and repair of the existing ones.

The location is nice and the staff are very friendly, I just wish management would take care of the gym a bit better and spend some of the money upgrading it and making it better. The most recent issue seems to be the AC, the gym has been very warm the last two weeks.

They charge premium, so I wish they would deliver premium too... But to be honest I'll probably renew again because the location is just right for me, just wanted to rant a bit - hoping that the NRG team will read this and see that there are some things that their customers are not happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Another problem with NRG is people coming out of the sauna and going straight into the pool without showering, got an eye infection recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

does anyone one here go to resolution fitness in nemo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

does anyone one here go to resolution fitness in nemo?
    Joined there start of September. What do you want to know?

The lads there are sound out and very helpful.
    They play the standard sort of music you hear in gyms but it's not blaring across the room, you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice. This was a big factor for me joining there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

Joined there start of September. What do you want to know?

The lads there are sound out and very helpful.
    They play the standard sort of music you hear in gyms but it's not blaring across the room, you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice. This was a big factor for me joining there.
    Ya like are the lads good? Does it be busy early in the mornings ? One of my main reasons for joining is because it’s open at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ya like are the lads good? Does it be busy early in the mornings ? One of my main reasons for joining is because it’s open at 6am
    They seem very knowledgeable yes, create and go through your personalised plan step by step.

Sorry dont know about mornings. I've only been there between 10am and 4pm depending on my hours. Best bet maybe give them a ring to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Energized fitness in togher is great! Open early loads of parking and music not blaring deffo worth giving them a shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

I like the Kingsley the pool is really good, i did hear that plans are in the works to move the gym to the ground level and do it up, i really hope they do as the gyms is like taken a trip back to the 80's

I do miss the crack in NRG but f*k it the place was going to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

ok so I'm bringing this thread up again..

I'm tired of NRG with broken/worn out machines, non-functional lockers and broken soap dispensers, with no change in sight I'd like to change gym.

What I'm looking for is a nice, empty gym with modern machines.. I prefer a gym that costs a lot as it tends to (should) mean less people and better standard. Any ideas?

Note that I'm not looking for good quality for a low price, because that = crowded. I'm looking for good quality for premium price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ok so I'm bringing this thread up again..

I'm tired of NRG with broken/worn out machines, non-functional lockers and broken soap dispensers, with no change in sight I'd like to change gym.

What I'm looking for is a nice, empty gym with modern machines.. I prefer a gym that costs a lot as it tends to (should) mean less people and better standard. Any ideas?

Note that I'm not looking for good quality for a low price, because that = crowded. I'm looking for good quality for premium price.

Another shout here for energized fitness in togher!

Advertisement