Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Tags

Options
  • 16-05-2017 5:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if Google Tags is worth spending time on, I recently took over an admin role on a site and am fixing various bugs as well as migrating GA, adwords and other SEO stuff.
    I've been out of this game a year or two so know zip about Google tags.

Anyone using it on sites?

Is it worth investing time on?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just finished setting up Google tags on a couple of e-commerce sites I'm helping someone with.

Ultimately decided it was worth the learning curve as there's plans for us to integrate some fairly funky analytics, marketing, remarketing and conversion tracking stuff.

GTM should mean I don't have to keep going back to the websites to fart around with JS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks,

This is a big ask but any chance you could briefly summarise what it does in non American SEO talk.

I have the script deployed but have not created tags in GTM yet.

Do I just add tags adword style to the site? is it done per page?

It's an established (half brochure, half php) site so don't want to break anything yet :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In our case, it was a single GTM JS script added to every page in the site, very easy if you're using a CMS as you'd usually just add it to the global head section.

After that, everything is done in google tag manager.

Everything being defining tags and custom triggers if you need them.

E.g.

'Universal Analytics' tag with a trigger: All Pages <- you would start with this

You might then go on to add

'Facebook Audience Tracking' tag with a trigger: All Pages
    'Universal Analytics Product Click' with a trigger: Product Click
    'Facebook Product View Event' with a trigger: Product Click
    'Universal Analytics Add to Cart' tag with a trigger: AddToCart
    'Universal Analytics Checkout' tag with a trigger: Checkout

We used a Magento extension (Magento 2 Google Tag Manager Pro by scommerce), go and google it and read the set-up guide. I know the Magento side probably wouldn't apply to you but the largest part of the manual is step-by-step how to setup google tag manager. Saved me days of work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks a mill, I'll go do some reading on it so.

Advertisement