Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Absent from exam - illness

Options
  • 16-05-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I am a final year student who was due to sit his last exam today. However since yesterday morning I have been very sick with a vomiting bug, diarrhoea ( sorry about details) and have had strong migraines since. As a result, I was unable to sit my exam today on advice from my GP.

I have emailed the chair of law and government who told me that I will have to submit an extenuating circumstances form pending review.

I am very anxious and worried as I am
    currently on a 2.1 and my previous exams had gone well.
    So I am Just enquiring as to the likelihood of my deferral? And if you know from any past cases that I will be allowed sit my exam as a first attempt in August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Happened to a friend and iirc she sat a new exam a couple weeks later. She did it in a room in UCD with a few other people who also missed exams.
    Submit the form as soon as you can and just get well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

Maldesu wrote: »
    Happened to a friend and iirc she sat a new exam a couple weeks later. She did it in a room in UCD with a few other people who also missed exams.
    Submit the form as soon as you can and just get well.

Does the nature of the illness make a difference? I'm thinking of asking the doctor to exaggerate it a little bit. I will probably feel fine tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Nope. UCD can't ask. If your doctor says you couldn't do it, then that's all they need to know. It happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

Gastroenteritis/vomiting bug is reason enough. Apart from feeling rough yourself you'd also risk infecting everyone else in the exam hall if you did get 'caught short'!

But as the poster above says, once the doctor certifies you unfit to take the exam, it is unlikely that the college will dispute this.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

jo2509 wrote: »
    Gastroenteritis/vomiting bug is reason enough. Apart from feeling rough yourself you'd also risk infecting everyone else in the exam hall if you did get 'caught short'!

But as the poster above says, once the doctor certifies you unfit to take the exam, it is unlikely that the college will dispute this.

Hope you feel better soon.

Quick update,
    Handed in extenuating circumstances form with doctors note. It was marked illness and signed by lecturer and dropped into registry. Do you know if that means it should be deferred or is it does it have to go to an appeals board now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement